Understanding Double Integrals: Finding the Area Between Two Circles

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a double integral and finding the area between two circles using double integrals. It is also mentioned that the double integral represents surface area rather than volume. The conversation ends with a suggestion to review the section on surface area in a Calculus book for a better understanding of the problem.
jegues

Homework Statement

See Figure.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Simplifying the double integral,

[tex]\int \int_{R} \sqrt{1 + 4x^2 + 4y^2} dA[/tex]

Am I suppose to put in the bounds for part a, as part of simplifying the integral?

This brings me to part b along with a few questions.

The whole point of this problem is to compute the area between the two circles mentioned above correct? I'm confused as to how this is done with double integrals.

If I wanted to find the area between the two circles I would simply find the area of the outer circle, [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex] and subtract the area of the inner circle, [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/tex].

That being said, wouldn't the natural geometrical interpretation of this simply be something like a doughnut?

I haven't gotten to part C yet, but I'd like to work out the misunderstandings I currently have and tackle that after.

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• DOUBINTQ.JPG
    DOUBINTQ.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral isn't the area of the region between the two circles. It's the area of a surface z=y^2-x^2 defined over the area between the two circles, isn't it?

Dick said:
Your integral isn't the area of the region between the two circles. It's the area of a surface z=y^2-x^2 defined over the area between the two circles, isn't it?

That seems to make more sense, I think I got a little confused with the wording of the question.

However, I still have a few more questions. Where exactly did you get z = y^2 - x^2?

And how can I go about setting my boundaries for the given region?

You find the boundaries by turning the integral from cartesian to polar, so:
[tex]
dxdy=rdrd\theta
[/tex]
I think Dick is lookinf at the equation of a sphere:
[tex]
x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=1
[/tex]
then
[tex]
z=\sqrt{1-x^{2}-y^{2}}
[/tex]

hunt_mat said:
[tex]
dxdy=rdrd\theta
[/tex]
[tex]
x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=1
[/tex]
then
[tex]
z=\sqrt{1-x^{2}-y^{2}}
[/tex]

I'm looking at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SurfaceArea.html equation 3. The surface must be z=y^2-x^2. It's not a sphere.

hunt_mat said:
[tex]
dxdy=rdrd\theta
[/tex]
[tex]
x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=1
[/tex]
then
[tex]
z=\sqrt{1-x^{2}-y^{2}}
[/tex]

Is what I wrote in the original post enough to satisfy part a? In other words, do I need to have the boundaries on my integral in order to have "simplified" it?

Also, I'm still confused as to what the natural geometric interpretation of this integral is, is it simply a sphere?

jegues said:
Is what I wrote in the original post enough to satisfy part a? In other words, do I need to have the boundaries on my integral in order to have "simplified" it?

Also, I'm still confused as to what the natural geometric interpretation of this integral is, is it simply a sphere?

Are you asking what the surface z=y^2-x^2 is called? It's not a sphere. It's a hyperbolic paraboloid or something. It doesn't matter. The 'natural' interpretation is just that the integral is the area of that surface over the region between the two circles. Your dxdy form of the integral is fine without the bounds. Convert it to polar coordinates, then put in explicit boundaries.

Pardon my calculus (which is pretty basic) if I'm wrong, but doesn't the double integral represent volume under the surface?

kbaumen said:
Pardon my calculus (which is pretty basic) if I'm wrong, but doesn't the double integral represent volume under the surface?

The double integral of z*dx*dy would be volume. The double integral of sqrt(1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2)*dx*dy is surface area.

jegues said:

Homework Statement

See Figure.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Simplifying the double integral,

[tex]\int \int_{R} \sqrt{1 + 4x^2 + 4y^2} dA[/tex]

Am I suppose to put in the bounds for part a, as part of simplifying the integral?

This brings me to part b along with a few questions.

The whole point of this problem is to compute the area between the two circles mentioned above correct? I'm confused as to how this is done with double integrals.

If I wanted to find the area between the two circles I would simply find the area of the outer circle, [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex] and subtract the area of the inner circle, [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/tex].

That being said, wouldn't the natural geometrical interpretation of this simply be something like a doughnut?

I haven't gotten to part C yet, but I'd like to work out the misunderstandings I currently have and tackle that after.

Thanks again for the help!

You have definitely got to go out of your way to find a good Calculus book and review the section on Area of a Surface. Mine is Leithold. I guarantee if you find Leithold in the Library and spend no more than one hour on the section on surface area and then interpret your integral from that perspective, you'll see exactly what's going on: the integral is simply the area of the surface of [itex]z=y^2-x^2[/itex] over the annular region between the two circles with center at the origin and radii of 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Double Integrals: Finding the Area Between Two Circles

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume or area under a surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume or area under a surface in two dimensions. In a double integral, the region of integration is defined by two variables instead of one.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

A double integral is used to find the volume or area under a surface in two dimensions. It is particularly useful in solving problems related to physics, engineering, and economics, where quantities are often dependent on two variables.

4. What are the steps for evaluating a double integral?

The steps for evaluating a double integral are as follows: 1) Determine the limits of integration for each variable, 2) Set up the integral by writing the function to be integrated and the differential of each variable, 3) Evaluate the inner integral first, treating all other variables as constants, 4) Evaluate the outer integral using the result of the inner integral as the new function, and 5) Simplify the final result if possible.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, and determining the average value of a function over a certain region. They are also used in physics to calculate work and in economics to determine the price of a product based on supply and demand.

Back