Understanding E/t uncertainty and ##\vec{L}## uncertainty

• Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary: Well, if you consider the two atoms as being in a superposition of states, then you can say that they undergo the same transition, but the energy difference between the two states is still uncertain.
davidbenari
Warning: I am taking a modern physics course, and haven't taken QM. I know nothing of "commutators, operators, hilbert spaces, etc."

I understand ##\Delta E \Delta t >= \hbar /2 ## to mean that I can't know the energy of a system and the time at which that energy takes place exactly. These two are fuzzy, so to speak.

However, when deriving the particle in a box wavefunction in 1D or 3D, you get sharp values for the energy of the system. At the same time that wavefunction is clearly a function of time and therefore I can know both ##E## and ##t## with precision. Why isn't this in contradiction with the E/t uncertainty principle?

Also I've seen some proofs that state that ##\vec{L}## can't be known because it would violate the p/x uncertainty principle. But why does this mean that I can't know two components of ##\vec{L}## with precision? I mean, the natural implication of not knowing L with certainty, would be that its 3 components aren't known. I don't see the importance of 2 components here...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
davidbenari said:
I understand ##\Delta E \Delta t >= \hbar /2 ## to mean that I can't know the energy of a system and the time at which that energy takes place exactly.

No, this is not the right statement of the time-energy uncertainty relation.

In the time-energy uncertainty relation, ##\Delta E## is the uncertainty in the energy of a system, and ##\Delta t## is the time it takes the system to change appreciably. These can be defined mathematically.

For example, states of definite energy (##\Delta E = 0##) have "stationary" wave functions where nothing ever changes except for an overall phase (##\Delta t = \infty##).

The canonical example of the time-energy uncertainty relation is the natural width of spectral lines. Since excited atoms return to the ground state by emission of a photon after a certain amount of time ##\Delta t##, the energy of the excited state is uncertain by an amount ##\Delta E## which is inversely proportional to its lifetime ##\Delta t##. This means that different photons from the same transition will have slightly different energies; that is, spectral lines are not infinitely sharp but have some width. Excited states that decay faster give rise to broader spectral lines.
davidbenari said:
Also I've seen some proofs that state that ##\vec{L}## can't be known because it would violate the p/x uncertainty principle. But why does this mean that I can't know two components of ##\vec{L}## with precision?

There is a sort of uncertainty relation between each pair of components of ##\vec L## (we say that the components do not commute), so no two of them can take definite values at the same time (except in a case like ##L_x = L_y = L_z = 0##). These uncertainty relations between the components of ##\vec L## can be derived from the uncertainty relations between ##x## and ##p_x##, ##y## and ##p_y##, and ##z## and ##p_z##. You'll see this in a full course on QM.

Last edited:
Likes davidbenari
The_Duck said:
except for an overall phase (Δt=∞\Delta t = \infty).

I think I understood everything except this little bit. What do you mean exactly by this?

Is your interpretation hard to derive from the p/x relation which I know how to derive?
The_Duck said:
This means that different photons from the same transition will have slightly different energies

Hmm. How can there be different energies if the same transition occurs? I thought the quantization of energy would imply that same transitions have to have the same energy difference.

davidbenari said:
I think I understood everything except this little bit. What do you mean exactly by this?

I mean that since the system isn't changing at all, the "time required for it to change appreciably" is basically infinite.

davidbenari said:
Is your interpretation hard to derive from the p/x relation which I know how to derive?

Well, if you are familiar with the understanding of the p/x uncertainty relation in terms of the Fourier transform, the E/t uncertainty relation is exactly analogous.

Griffiths' QM book derives a rigorous E/t uncertainty relation using operators.

davidbenari said:
Hmm. How can there be different energies if the same transition occurs? I thought the quantization of energy would imply that same transitions have to have the same energy difference.

Well, the point is that excited atoms don't have definite energy. If they did, they would stay excited forever because states of definite energy are stationary.

Atoms only have definite discrete energy levels if you neglect their interaction with the electromagnetic field; that is, if you neglect the possibility of emitting photons.

Likes davidbenari
Could I relate the last point to a superposition of states? Like: two atoms have same wavefunction and emit a photon. "They underwent the same transition" in the same ##\Delta t## but the E/t relation will give the ##\Delta E## uncertainty.

Is that ok?

I don't get how else you could observe the same transition from two atoms, and observe the same ##\Delta t##. Hehe.

Thanks!

Related to Understanding E/t uncertainty and ##\vec{L}## uncertainty

1. What is E/t uncertainty?

E/t uncertainty, also known as energy-time uncertainty, is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know the time at which it is measured, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that energy and time are conjugate variables and cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision.

2. What is ##\vec{L}## uncertainty?

##\vec{L}## uncertainty, also known as angular momentum uncertainty, is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the angular momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know the direction of its angular momentum, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that angular momentum and its direction are conjugate variables and cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision.

3. How are E/t uncertainty and ##\vec{L}## uncertainty related?

E/t uncertainty and ##\vec{L}## uncertainty are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in two conjugate variables must be greater than or equal to a certain value. In the case of E/t and ##\vec{L}##, the product of their uncertainties is equal to Planck's constant divided by 2π.

4. How do these uncertainties affect our understanding of particles?

These uncertainties have significant implications for our understanding of particles at the quantum level. They show that there are fundamental limits to the precision with which we can measure certain properties of particles, and that the act of measurement itself can cause changes in the particle's state. This challenges our classical understanding of particles as having definite properties at all times.

5. How do scientists deal with these uncertainties in their research?

Scientists take these uncertainties into account when designing experiments and interpreting their results. They use statistical methods and mathematical models to account for the uncertainties and make predictions about the behavior of particles. They also continue to study and explore these uncertainties in order to deepen our understanding of the quantum world.