Understanding Electric Force: Calculating Change in Potential Energy

In summary, the question is asking for the change in potential energy of a particle of charge +q that is brought from a distance of 3r to a distance of 2r by a particle of charge -q. The formula used to calculate potential energy is W = qEd, which can be expanded to W = (kq1q2/r^2)d. After substituting the given distances, the formula becomes W = kq1q2/r. However, the given answer in the book is different, which may be due to the potential energy formula used (kq1q2/r) taking into account the zero level being at r = infinity. Another problem has arisen, but it is unclear what it is
soljaragz
Here is the question that I have no idea what is happening

"What is the change in potential energy of a particle of charge +q that is brougt from a distance of 3r to a distance of 2r by a particle of charge -q? "

Here's what I tried

-W = deltaU
W = qEd
W = (kq1q2/r^2) d
d= 3r - 2r = r

substituting I get
W = kq1q2/r
so deltaU = -kq1q2/r.....im correct up to here, but its not the final answer according to the book,...the explanation then shows some weird things that I don't understand.

but isn't the question asking for change in potential
so shouldn't deltaU (-kq1q2/r) be the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The potential energy of two charges separated by a distance r is given by kq1q2/r (where the zero level is taken to be at r = infinity).

[nvm i get it now]
I have another problem though

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Electric Force: Calculating Change in Potential Energy

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What are the units of electric force?

The SI unit for electric force is Newtons (N), which can also be expressed in terms of kilograms, meters, and seconds (kg∙m/s^2). However, other units such as Coulombs (C) and volts (V) are also commonly used.

4. How does electric force affect objects?

Electric force can cause objects to attract or repel each other, depending on the types and amounts of charge they possess. It can also cause objects to gain or lose charge through the process of charging by induction.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric force?

Electric force is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as the attraction between clothes in a dryer, the shock you feel when you touch a doorknob, and the operation of electronic devices like computers and smartphones. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as electrostatic painting and air filtration.