Understanding Far Field Radiation of Hertzian Dipoles in Relation to Orientation

In summary, the orientation of a Hertzian Dipole and a receiving loop antenna must be aligned in order for the loop to pick up the emitted signal from the dipole. Placing the dipole along the z-axis would not allow for interaction, so it is better to align it parallel to the x-y plane. Additionally, the dipole and loop must have compatible polarization in order for them to interact. This can be achieved by placing the loop in the x-y plane and the dipole at the origin along the z-axis.
ronaldoshaky
Hello,

I am reading in my book about Hertzian dipoles. I am trying to understand the far field radiation of a Hertzian Dipole.

Lets say I place a loop at the origin, with the plane of the loop in the x-y plane. Along the z axis at a distance of 1 km I place a Hertzian Dipole.

Is the orientation of the dipole going to affect whether the loop picks up the emitted signal from the dipole? From reading my book, I think that placing the dipole axis along the z-axis wouldn't allow the loop at the origin to pick up the electromagnetic signal. Would it be better if the dipole was aligned parallel to the x-y plane?

Perhaps someone could help me further. Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
The radiation pattern of a dipole antenna is something like sin^2 \theta. This pattern is a standard omnidirectional pattern. This means that at \theta = \pi/2, the directivity is at a maximum and at \theta = 0 the directivity is null. Here, we aline the z axis along the axis of the dipole. Thus, if you placed any receiving or transmitting elements along the dipole's axis in the far field, these elements would not interact with the dipole since they lie in a null of the radiation pattern. Instead, you would want these elements to lie in the plane of greatest directivity of the antenna, which is the x-y plane as you have suggested. In addition, the dipole and other elements need to be oriented so that they have compatible polarization. If the dipole and receiver are cross-polarized, then they will not interact regardless of their radiation patterns.

So a dipole and loop antennas are both linearly polarized and you would want to make sure that you orient them accordingly. This is done by placing the loop in the x-y plane with the dipole at the origin oriented along the z-axis.

Related to Understanding Far Field Radiation of Hertzian Dipoles in Relation to Orientation

1. What is Far Field Radiation?

Far Field Radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from a source and propagates in the far field region. This region is typically several wavelengths away from the source and is also known as the radiation zone.

2. How does Far Field Radiation differ from Near Field Radiation?

Near Field Radiation is the electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from a source and propagates in the near field region, which is typically within a few wavelengths of the source. This type of radiation is characterized by non-uniform field distribution and strong electric and magnetic fields, whereas Far Field Radiation has a more uniform field distribution and weaker electric and magnetic fields.

3. What factors can affect Far Field Radiation?

The strength and distribution of Far Field Radiation can be affected by various factors, such as the distance from the source, the frequency of the radiation, and the characteristics of the source itself (e.g. size, shape, and orientation).

4. How is Far Field Radiation measured?

Far Field Radiation can be measured using specialized equipment, such as antennas and receivers, to detect and measure the electromagnetic fields in the far field region. The measurements can then be used to calculate the intensity and direction of the radiation.

5. What are some common sources of Far Field Radiation?

Far Field Radiation can be emitted from a variety of sources, including wireless communication devices, radio and television broadcasting towers, and radar systems. It is also naturally emitted by the sun and other celestial bodies.

Back