Understanding Force Diagrams for Hydraulic Cylinder Selection

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of a hydraulic cylinder to counter-balance a force. The force required is typically calculated using the horizontal part of F2, but the angle of the force and the role of friction are also considered. The participants agree that a minimal coefficient of friction is necessary to prevent the block from sliding, but the type of connection does not matter. After struggling with the calculations, it is concluded that the degree of the connection does matter, but friction can be ignored. An excel file with calculations is attached for reference.
cjpa
Hello world,

I have to select an hydraulic cylinder to counter-balance a force. For that purpose I need to know the force that my hydraulic cylinder must exert. Typically I would use the horizontal part of F2, but being that force with diferent degrees, doen't my friction play an important role? usually I don't consider it... can anyone, please, help
me solve this. I am having a bit of a trouble understanding this mechanism's force diagram...
Apresenta_o1.png

Apresenta_o1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need some minimal coefficient of friction to prevent the block from sliding, but if you have that the type of connection does not matter.

Thanks for you kind reply mfb.

Well, I've been struggling with this all night and I have finally been able to do the math, the thing is it does matter, the degree of the connection. And it is loggical if you think on the "limit" of the angles for each. yet, the friction plays a minor role, and therefore can be ignored.

i'll attach an excel with some simple math solving this.
(please, if you find any error let me know)

Attachments

• calccil.xlsx
    445.1 KB · Views: 272

Related to Understanding Force Diagrams for Hydraulic Cylinder Selection

What is a hydraulic cylinder?

A hydraulic cylinder is a mechanical actuator that converts hydraulic energy into linear force and motion. It consists of a cylindrical barrel, a piston, and a rod that are sealed to prevent fluid leakage. It is commonly used in various machinery and equipment to provide pushing, pulling, or lifting force.

How does a hydraulic cylinder work?

A hydraulic cylinder works by using the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will be transmitted equally in all directions. When fluid is pumped into the cylinder, it creates pressure on the piston, causing it to move and exert force on the attached load. The direction and magnitude of the force depend on the design of the cylinder and the input pressure.

What is a force diagram for hydraulic cylinder selection?

A force diagram for hydraulic cylinder selection is a visual representation of the forces acting on a hydraulic cylinder. It includes the input force, output force, and any external forces that may affect the cylinder's operation. This diagram is crucial in selecting the right hydraulic cylinder for a specific application as it helps determine the required size and specifications based on the forces involved.

How do I choose the right hydraulic cylinder for my application?

To choose the right hydraulic cylinder for your application, you need to consider the force, speed, and stroke requirements. You can use a force diagram to calculate the required force and select a cylinder with a suitable bore size, rod diameter, and pressure rating. Additionally, you should also consider the type of fluid, operating temperature, and mounting options for the cylinder.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using hydraulic cylinders?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using hydraulic cylinders. These include regular maintenance and inspection of the cylinder to ensure it is in good working condition, proper installation to prevent leaks, and following the manufacturer's guidelines for operating pressures. It is also essential to use safety devices such as pressure relief valves and to train operators on proper handling and use of hydraulic cylinders.