Understanding Force During a Crash: Solving as a Multiple of Weight

• Thread starter Brin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving a crashed spacecraft and calculating the force exerted on the capsule during the crash. The specific question is to express the force as a multiple of the capsule's weight. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using various equations and confusion about the correct answer. The final solution involves calculating acceleration and using a formula to determine the force required to decelerate the capsule.
Brin
It's 2:30 AM and I'm doing some Physics online, and I can't wrap my brain around the this question:

What force did the ground exert on the capsule during the crash? Express the force as a multiple of the capsule's weight.

Specifically, I don't understand what the force as a multiple of the capsule's weight is. I've tried a long list of nonsensical answers, all of which fail.

Some of the ones I tried are:
Note: Fn = Force in Newtons, Fg = G-Force, g = gravity, w = weight
Fn/w
Fn/g
Fn/Fg

None of them work! (which sort of makes sense in my head...)

If you're curious, here is the problem as it is presented:

On September 8, 2004, the Genesis spacecraft crashed in the Utah desert because its parachute did not open. The 210-kg capsule hit the ground at 311 km/h and penetrated the soil to a depth of 81.0 cm.

I've solved all the other problems relating to the g-force upon impacting, the acceleration of the capsule during the crash, and the force in Newtons of the crash. Also, the length of time in which the crash occurred. I just have no idea of what solving as a multiple of the capsule's weight means.

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If weight of the capsule is W, and the force to find is F, you have to write in terrms of W, like 2W or 3.5 W. So, just write as F/W times W.

Hm, this confuses me more.

So maintaining that F is force in Newtons that the capsule exerted on the Earth (using Newton's 3rd law, I assume the Earth is exerting the same force back on the capsule) and that W is the weight of the capsule in Newtons:

F/W * W = F?

I still am not understanding (And I'm feeling particularly dense at the moment), could you maybe explain it again? Thanks.

Suppose the wt of the capsule is W=100 N and the force F which you have to find is 200 N, then how will you express the force F in terms of W? How many times of W is F? Just think for a second.

Okay, so here is what I have
The force in Newtons that the capsule exerts on the Earth is 9.7 * 10^5 Newtons. - Note that this is the effect of the capsule on the earth, and the question is about the force of the Earth on the capsule, using Newton's third law, I assume they are the same. So, as I proceed using your idea that F/W = Answer.

I take 9.7 * 10^5 Newtons divided by the weight of the capsule,( 210kg * 9.8(gravity) = 21.43 Newtons) = 45263.65 --- This isn't the answer.

Your example is as the following
W= 100N
F = 200N
Your question is How many times of W is F? 2 Right?!
Then shouldn't the above be the right answer? (it isn't according to this online physics program).

I'm honestly trying to think, but man I'm feeling frustrated! Thank you for your help thus far, I'm sure I'll get it.

I got an answer of 470 times the wt of the capsule.

Brin said:
Okay, so here is what I have
The force in Newtons that the capsule exerts on the Earth is 9.7 * 10^5 Newtons. - Note that this is the effect of the capsule on the earth, and the question is about the force of the Earth on the capsule, using Newton's third law, I assume they are the same. So, as I proceed using your idea that F/W = Answer.

I take 9.7 * 10^5 Newtons divided by the weight of the capsule,( 210kg * 9.8(gravity) = 21.43 Newtons) = 45263.65 --- This isn't the answer.
Then you had better check your calculator! 210 * 9.8 is NOT 21.43!

Your example is as the following
W= 100N
F = 200N
Your question is How many times of W is F? 2 Right?!
Then shouldn't the above be the right answer? (it isn't according to this online physics program).

I'm honestly trying to think, but man I'm feeling frustrated! Thank you for your help thus far, I'm sure I'll get it.

Woops - I don't know how I didn't even catch that mistake.

None the less I got the answer of 470 times the weight of the capsule for my answer as well - which is the same answer as the "g force" of the capsule on the Earth - which isn't the answer either (according to the physics program).

What the heck!?

Brin said:
On September 8, 2004, the Genesis spacecraft crashed in the Utah desert because its parachute did not open. The 210-kg capsule hit the ground at 311 km/h and penetrated the soil to a depth of 81.0 cm.

What acceleration did the object experience that resulted in it going from 311 kph to 0 kph in 81.0 cm?

Use this formula:

[tex]a\Delta{x}=\frac{1}{2}(v^2-v_0^2)[/tex]

Solve for a.

Then figure out what force it took to decelerate a given mass at that rate.

FAQ: Understanding Force During a Crash: Solving as a Multiple of Weight

1. What causes a simple misunderstanding?

Simple misunderstandings can be caused by a variety of factors, such as miscommunication, differing perspectives and interpretations, lack of clarity, and assumptions.

2. How can we prevent simple misunderstandings?

To prevent simple misunderstandings, it is important to practice effective communication skills, actively listen to others, clarify any unclear information, and avoid making assumptions.

3. Can simple misunderstandings lead to bigger problems?

Yes, simple misunderstandings can escalate into bigger problems if they are not addressed and resolved in a timely manner. They can also lead to conflicts and strained relationships if left unresolved.

4. What should I do if I realize there has been a simple misunderstanding?

If you realize there has been a simple misunderstanding, it is important to take responsibility for your part in the miscommunication and apologize if necessary. Try to clarify any confusion and work towards finding a resolution.

5. Is it possible to avoid all misunderstandings?

No, it is not possible to avoid all misunderstandings as they are a natural part of human communication. However, by practicing effective communication and being open to clarification and understanding, we can minimize the occurrence of simple misunderstandings.