Understanding Force Summation and Resultant Forces on a Slab

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of a resultant force and locating its point of application on a slab. The attempt at a solution involves summing forces and determining that the resultant force is going upward, which may seem contradictory to the given force system. The explanation is that the given force system is just a schematic representation and not meant to be exact.
Permanence

Homework Statement

60f83f1915e83c016d92ecc2c7e13a1b.png

Find the magnitude and direction of a resultant force equivalent to the given force system and locate its point of application on the slab.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I summed the forces to get -1400 N, or a 1400 N force downward (the book agrees with that). Why is the resultant force going upward? It seems to me that they have printed a 1400 N force upward. I have no issue with the rest of the problem, but was hoping someone could explain to me why Fr is going upward.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Permanence said:

Homework Statement

60f83f1915e83c016d92ecc2c7e13a1b.png

Find the magnitude and direction of a resultant force equivalent to the given force system and locate its point of application on the slab.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I summed the forces to get -1400 N, or a 1400 N force downward (the book agrees with that). Why is the resultant force going upward? It seems to me that they have printed a 1400 N force upward. I have no issue with the rest of the problem, but was hoping someone could explain to me why Fr is going upward.
It's just schematic and general. It's not meant to represent exactly the solution to this specific problem.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the response.
In the summary of the conclusion they say a Force of Fr = 1400 N is placed at P(x,y). So I assumed they wanted a positive force.

Related to Understanding Force Summation and Resultant Forces on a Slab

1. What is force summation?

Force summation is the principle that describes the combined effect of multiple forces acting on an object. It states that the total force acting on an object is equal to the sum of all the individual forces acting on it.

2. How does force summation apply to everyday life?

Force summation can be observed in many everyday situations, such as pushing a shopping cart or throwing a ball. In these cases, our muscles apply multiple forces in different directions to produce a desired movement.

3. What is the importance of force summation in sports?

Force summation is crucial in sports as it allows athletes to generate more power and speed in their movements. By coordinating and combining different muscle groups, athletes can produce a greater force and achieve better performance.

4. Can force summation be applied to non-physical systems?

Yes, force summation can also be applied to non-physical systems, such as economic or social systems. In these cases, it refers to the combined effects of different factors or influences that contribute to an outcome or result.

5. How does force summation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Force summation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Force summation allows us to calculate the total force acting on an object, which can then be used to determine its acceleration.

Back