Understanding Free Products: Exploring the Basics of Group Theory

• Thread starter dumbQuestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free products of groups and their properties. The free product of two groups G and H is a group where elements are finite reduced words of arbitrary length, with elements of the same group not sitting next to each other. It is noted that the free product of a group with itself is formally considered as distinct copies of the group. The free product of Z with itself is the free group on two generators. The purpose of using free groups and free products is to describe groups and make calculations easier.
dumbQuestion
Hey I am really confused over free products. So I understand abstractly, I think. If we have two groups G, H, then the free product G*H would be the group where elements are finite reduced words of arbitrary length, i.e., powers of elements of g and h, where elements of the same group don't sit next to each other (ex. g^1g^2h^3 is NOT a reduced word because it would be g^3h^3.)

The thing I don't understand then is, if I have say the same group, what would be G*G? Because every combination would just be elements of G which are next to each other. I mean, take for example, g^2g^3. This would reduce to g^5. So aren't I just going to get G again?Like when I think of the free product of Z * Z. How is this not just Z? Cus a word would be just like 2*5*6*... etc. (finite length). Then every single word would reduce.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am fairly certain that when we take the free product of a group with itself, we formally think of the elements as being distinct if they come from a different copy of the group. For example, the free product of Z with itself is the free group F_2. It might be useful when doing something like this to mark one copy of the group with a 'dash' e.g write Z*Z' and distinguish the elements of Z' in a similar way.

So what does this look like exactly then? Since the words can be any arbitrary finite length, I can't think of it as having some sort of dimension like I normally would when thinking of say Z X Z. What is this group giving me (Z * Z that is). Just some random combination of integers?

Z is just an infinite cyclic group. So give your copies of Z presentations as follows: Z=<a|-> and Z=<b|-> (the generators are distinct because formally we think of the two copies of Z as being distinct). Then Z*Z=<a,b|-> by the explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_product under "Presentations".
So Z*Z is just the free group on two generators. There's no point in considering what the individual elements of each Z are (or else we will have an image of a bunch of integers randomly thrown together as you say), just that they are infinite cyclic and that we can treat their two generators as being distinct.

oh ok, so it seems like maybe I was thinking of things backwards. This mechanism of using free groups and free products, presentation, etc., is just a way to describe a group. So maybe its not that Z*Z is just something that I want to use for a calculation, maybe its more like, I have some group G, and if I realize some information about it, I might realize its isomorphic to Z*Z, this makes it easier to deal with, etc. This whole process is just kind of a way of describing groups? Am I thinking in the right direction?

Related to Understanding Free Products: Exploring the Basics of Group Theory

1. What is a free product?

A free product is a good or service that is offered without any cost to the consumer. This means that the consumer does not have to pay any money to obtain the product.

2. How do I get a free product?

The method of obtaining a free product varies depending on the company or organization offering it. Some common ways to get a free product include signing up for a free trial, participating in a promotional event, or receiving a free sample.

3. Are there any downsides to free products?

While free products may seem like a great deal, there can be potential downsides. Some free products may have hidden costs or require the consumer to provide personal information. Additionally, the quality or effectiveness of a free product may not be as good as a paid product.

4. Why do companies offer free products?

Companies may offer free products as a marketing strategy to attract new customers and increase brand awareness. It can also be a way to introduce a new product to the market and gather feedback from consumers.

5. Are free products safe to use?

As with any product, it is important to research and read reviews before using a free product. Some free products may not have undergone the same rigorous testing and safety regulations as paid products. It is also important to follow proper usage instructions and consult a professional if necessary.