Understanding Gamma-Ray Emission in Gadolinium Neutron Capture

In summary, neutron capture in gadolinium results in the release of an average energy of 8 MeV in the form of a gamma-ray cascade (Ʃγ). The number of gammas released follows a probability distribution, and the energy for each gamma is distributed uniformly. The de-excitation scheme for gadolinium related to neutron capture can be found in a chart.
rafant
neutron capture --> gamma's

Someone could explain me how neutron capture in Gadolinium happens? If a neutron is captured, an energy of about 8 Mev is released in form of gamma-ray cascade (Ʃγ).

But... how many gammas are released? I believe the answer will be in form of probability distribution. So, in this case, what is the respective probabilities for 1, 2, 3, etc gammas to be released? Once we have the number or gammas, the energy for each one of them would be distributed uniformily? (for exemple, if 2 gammas are released, I draw an energy for the first gamma from a uniform distribution which goes from ~0 to 8 MeV and the rest goes to the other gamma, is it right?).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you get a cascade, this happens along excited states of the nucleus with fixed energy for each transition. Maybe you can find some chart for them.

Thanks, I have looked for the de-excitation scheme for the Gadolinium related to neutron capture but I could not find it...Anyone would have this information?

Related to Understanding Gamma-Ray Emission in Gadolinium Neutron Capture

1. What is neutron capture?

Neutron capture is a nuclear reaction in which an atomic nucleus captures a neutron, forming a heavier isotope of the same element.

2. What is the role of gamma rays in neutron capture?

Gamma rays are produced as a result of the capture of a neutron by an atomic nucleus. These high-energy photons carry away excess energy and stabilize the new, heavier isotope.

3. How are gamma rays detected in neutron capture?

Gamma rays are detected using specialized detectors, such as scintillation detectors or germanium detectors, which are able to detect the high-energy photons produced during neutron capture.

4. What is the significance of neutron capture -> gamma's in nuclear physics?

Neutron capture -> gamma's play a crucial role in nuclear physics as they are responsible for the formation of new, heavier elements through the process of nucleosynthesis. They also have important applications in nuclear medicine and radiation therapy.

5. Can neutron capture -> gamma's be controlled or harnessed?

Neutron capture -> gamma's occur naturally in nuclear reactions, but they can also be controlled and harnessed in nuclear power plants to produce energy. However, this process also poses potential hazards and requires strict safety measures.