Understanding Gaussian Wave Packets: Momentum, Width, and Amplitude Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a Gaussian wave packet traveling through free space. The correct statements about the packet are that the average momentum is zero, the width increases with time, and the amplitude remains constant. The reasoning behind these statements is also discussed, with emphasis on the use of group velocity rather than phase velocity. The statement that the narrower the wave packet is in momentum space, the wider it is in coordinate space is also deemed correct based on basic Fourier theory.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I've got the right answer in this problem, but I'm not sure if I've got the correct reasoning

Homework Statement

A Gaussian wave packet travels through free space. Which of the following statements about the packet are correct for all such wave packets?

I. The average momentum of the wave packet is zero.
II. The width of the wave packet increases with time, as t [itex] \rightarrow \infty [/itex].
III. The amplitude of the wave packet remains constant with time.
IV. The narrower the wave packet is in momentum space, the wider it is in coordinate space.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here was my reasoning:

I. (INCORRECT) [itex] \mathbf{p} = \hbar\mathbf{k} [/itex], and the Gaussian need not be peaked at [itex] \mathbf{k} = 0 [/itex].

II. (CORRECT). [itex] \mathbf{v}_{\textrm{phase}} = \frac{\hbar\mathbf{k}}{m}[/itex], a function of k, therefore dispersion occurs.

III. (INCORRECT) contradicts II.

IV. (CORRECT) This is a basic result of Fourier theory.

Ans: II and IV only are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump for this thread

I know this is a late answer, but I just saw this topic and wanted to answer.

I. is correct, because the wave packet isn't centered at k=0, check Schwabl Quantum Mechanics book page 16. And also it doesn't make sense at all to be around zero, because that will cause the wave packet to include negative wave vectors.

III. With wave packets, you should use Group velocity not phase velocity, which ensures it being constant as you have said (Through the derivative).

Thanks for reading

Related to Understanding Gaussian Wave Packets: Momentum, Width, and Amplitude Explained

1. What is a Gaussian Wave Packet?

A Gaussian Wave Packet is a type of wave packet that is described by the Gaussian function. It is a localized wave that is characterized by a central peak and gradually decreases in amplitude as it spreads out.

2. What is the significance of the Gaussian function in a Gaussian Wave Packet?

The Gaussian function, also known as the normal distribution, is used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable. In a Gaussian Wave Packet, this function is used to determine the amplitude of the wave at different points.

3. How is the spread of a Gaussian Wave Packet related to its momentum and position uncertainties?

The spread of a Gaussian Wave Packet is inversely proportional to the product of its momentum and position uncertainties. This means that as the spread of the packet decreases, the uncertainties in its momentum and position increase.

4. What are some real-life applications of Gaussian Wave Packets?

Gaussian Wave Packets are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in various systems. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, optics, and acoustics.

5. Can the shape of a Gaussian Wave Packet change over time?

Yes, the shape of a Gaussian Wave Packet can change over time due to interactions with other particles or external forces. This change in shape is known as wave packet dispersion and is described by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.