Understanding Geometric Sequences: Results & Formula

In summary: You cannot start the sequence with a_2 and then write the formula as if you started with a_1.In summary, there seems to be confusion about the difference between an arithmetic sequence and an arithmetic series. An arithmetic sequence is a list of numbers with a constant difference between each consecutive term. An arithmetic series is the sum of the terms in an arithmetic sequence. In the given conversation, the speaker is trying to understand the process of finding a closed form for an arithmetic sequence. They have found the common difference and have identified that there can be multiple ways of selecting terms to create the explicit formula. They are wondering if there is a rule or standard method for selecting the terms, or if any terms can be used in any order to produce
Casio1
Just a little help understanding results obtained.

I have found the closed form of a sequence, but am a little unsure if there is a right way or can select either way of using the terms to create the explicit formula.

I have found the common difference from the terms, which is 1.2, in my example I have four terms, -0.4, -1.6, -2.8, -4.

By selecting the term -2.8 I created the formula;

Un = U2 + (n - 1)d

I ended up with;

Un = 1.2n - 4

Then I selected another term, (- 4) and created the formula;

Un = - 5.2 + 1.2n

So I guess I am really asking, is there a rule that says which term must be selected to create the formula, or if any of the terms are used, are both the formulas correct?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
Just a little help understanding results obtained.

I have found the closed form of a sequence, but am a little unsure if there is a right way or can select either way of using the terms to create the explicit formula.

I have found the common difference from the terms, which is 1.2, in my example I have four terms, -0.4, -1.6, -2.8, -4.

By selecting the term -2.8 I created the formula;

Un = U2 + (n - 1)d

I ended up with;

Un = 1.2n - 4

Then I selected another term, (- 4) and created the formula;

Un = - 5.2 + 1.2n

So I guess I am really asking, is there a rule that says which term must be selected to create the formula, or if any of the terms are used, are both the formulas correct?
Hello!

d,- difference is not 1.2, but -1.2.

The formula is:

$$ a_n=a_1+(n-1)d $$

Hello, Casio!

Given: -0.4, -1.6, -2.8, -4.0
Find the closed form of the sequence.

$\text{The common difference is: }\;\;d = \text{-}1.2 $

$\text{The }n^{th}\text{ term of an arithmetic sequence is: }\;\;a_n \:=\:a_1 + (n-1)d$

$\text{For this sequence: }\;\;a_n \:=\:\text{-}0.4 + (n-1)(\text{-}1.2)$

. . $\text{which simplifies to: }\;\;a_n \:=\:0.8 - 1.2n $

soroban said:
Hello, Casio!

$\text{The common difference is: }\;\;d = \text{-}1.2 $

$\text{The }n^{th}\text{ term of an arithmetic sequence is: }\;\;a_n \:=\:a_1 + (n-1)d$

$\text{For this sequence: }\;\;a_n \:=\:\text{-}0.4 + (n-1)(\text{-}1.2)$

. . $\text{which simplifies to: }\;\;a_n \:=\:0.8 - 1.2n $

Now I could be wrong, but I thought along the lines of;

un=u2+(n-1)d

un=-2.8+(n-1)d

un=-2.8+1.2n-1.2

un= 1.2n-4

Alternatively I also thought;

un= -4+1.2n-1.2

un= 1.2n - 5.2

or

un= -5.2+1.2n

The confusing part for me is in selecting the correct term to define the sequence and hence produce the formula above,which will produce the right solution!

P.S. Not learned the latex for this forum to date!

This is an Arithmetic Sequence, not Geometric...

Prove It said:
This is an Arithmetic Sequence, not Geometric...
Good observation!

Some confusion on my part here on this subject!

I can see the confusion, a SERIES is simply adding the terms in a sequence. An Arithmetic series involves adding the terms of an arithmetic sequence, and a geometric series involves adding the terms of a geometric sequence.

However, nobody has understood my requests to date!

What I wanted was an understanding of why it is possible to have different closed form sequences solutions from the terms and whether you could select anyone of the terms, or there is a standard that says a particular given term is used, i.e. -2.8, -1.6, -0.4, 0.8.

Would it be right to start from left to the right, so use -2.8, which would give a solution Un = 1.2n-4

or could I say do this;

-2.8 -(-4) = 1.2

Then using the term (-4)

-4 + 1.2n - 1.2

1.2n - 5.2 or -5.2 + 1.2n

All the above solutions are correct, I am just after an understanding of whether there is a standard method or way to find the answer, or whether any terms can be used in any order to produce anyone of possible answera?

I hope I have explained it correctly.

The reason no one has understood your requests is because you never asked that question. You, repeatedly, asserted that "a_n= a_2+ (n-1)d" although you were told, repeatedly, that that is not true. You can think of the sequence as starting at a_2 rather than a_1 but then "n" is one less: a_n= a_2+ (n-2)d. In fact, for n> i, a_n= a_i+ (n-i)d.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Geometric Sequences: Results & Formula

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a type of sequence in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. The constant number is called the common ratio, and it is denoted by 'r'.

2. How do I find the common ratio of a geometric sequence?

The common ratio of a geometric sequence can be found by dividing any term by the previous term. The resulting quotient will be the common ratio for the sequence.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

4. Can a geometric sequence have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have a negative common ratio. This means that each term in the sequence will alternate between positive and negative numbers.

5. How can I use geometric sequences in real life?

Geometric sequences can be used to model real-life situations such as population growth, financial investments, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in mathematics and physics to solve problems related to exponential growth and decay.