Understanding Greedy Choice Property of Fractional Knapsack Problem

In summary, the greedy choice property is a principle used in solving the fractional knapsack problem which states that at each step, the item with the highest value-to-weight ratio should be selected. This ensures an optimal solution as it maximizes the overall value of items in the knapsack. However, there are cases where it may not result in an optimal solution, such as when items have equal ratios. The greedy choice property can also be applied to other optimization problems, but it has limitations such as not always guaranteeing an optimal solution and not considering the knapsack's capacity.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The following algorithm is given:

Code:
    Algorithm FractionalKnapsack(S,W):
    Input: Set S of items, such that each item i∈S has a positive benefit b_i and a positive 
    weight w_i; positive maximum total weight W
    Output: Amount x_i of each item i ∈ S that maximizes the total benefit while not exceeding 
    the maximum total weight W. 
    for each item i∈S
        x_i<-0
        v_i<-b_i/w_i // value index of item i
    w<-0
    while w<W do
          remove from S an item i with highest value index // greedy choice
          a<-min{w_i,W-w} // more than W-w causes a weight overflow
          x_i<-a
          w<-w+a
According to my lecture notes:To see that the fractional knapsack problem satisfies the greedy-choice property, suppose that there are two items $i$ and $j$ such that
$$x_i<w_i,\ \ \ x_j>0, \ \ \ \text{ and } v_i<v_j$$

Let $y=\min \{ w_i-x_i, x_j\}$.

We could then replace an amount $y$ of item $j$ with an equal amount of item $i$, thus increasing the total benefit without changing the total weight.

Therefore, we can correctly compute optimal amounts for the items by greedily choosing items with the largest value index.
Could you explain me the idea of the proof?

Why does the following hold?

[m] We could then replace an amount $y$ of item $j$ with an equal amount of item $i$, thus increasing the total benefit without changing the total weight. [/m]I haven't understood it.

Technology news on Phys.org
The idea of the proof is to show that the fractional knapsack problem satisfies the greedy-choice property, which means that the optimal solution can be obtained by making the best choice at each step. In this case, the best choice is the item with the highest value index. To do this, we consider two items $i$ and $j$, where $x_i < w_i$, $x_j > 0$, and $v_i < v_j$. This means that item $i$ has not been fully taken yet, and item $j$ has been partially taken, and item $i$ has a lower value index than item $j$. Now, let $y = \min \{w_i - x_i, x_j\}$. This means that the amount of item $j$ taken could be replaced with an equal amount of item $i$. Since the total weight remains unchanged, this would increase the total benefit since $v_i < v_j$. Thus, the optimal solution can be obtained by greedily choosing items with the highest value index.

Related to Understanding Greedy Choice Property of Fractional Knapsack Problem

What is the greedy choice property of the fractional knapsack problem?

The greedy choice property is a principle used in solving the fractional knapsack problem, which is a mathematical optimization problem. It states that at each step of the algorithm, the item with the highest value-to-weight ratio should be selected and added to the knapsack.

How does the greedy choice property ensure an optimal solution for the fractional knapsack problem?

The greedy choice property ensures an optimal solution because at each step, the algorithm chooses the item with the highest value-to-weight ratio, which maximizes the overall value of items that can be fit into the knapsack. This leads to the most efficient use of the knapsack's capacity and results in an optimal solution.

Are there any cases where the greedy choice property does not guarantee an optimal solution for the fractional knapsack problem?

Yes, there are cases where the greedy choice property may not result in an optimal solution. For example, if the items have equal value-to-weight ratios, the algorithm may not be able to choose the best item, and this can lead to a suboptimal solution.

Can the greedy choice property be applied to other optimization problems?

Yes, the greedy choice property can be applied to other optimization problems, such as the minimum spanning tree problem and the shortest path problem. In these problems, the algorithm chooses the locally optimal solution at each step, which leads to an overall optimal solution.

What are the limitations of using the greedy choice property for solving the fractional knapsack problem?

The greedy choice property may not always lead to an optimal solution, as it relies on the assumption that the locally optimal choice will also be the globally optimal choice. In some cases, this may not hold true, and the algorithm may not find the best solution. Additionally, the greedy approach does not consider the capacity of the knapsack, which may result in a solution that exceeds the knapsack's capacity.