Understanding High Power Resistor Ratings: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a beginner looking for a high power resistor and getting confused by the nomenclature of resistors. The R in the resistor naming is clarified to represent the resistive value and is different from the power rating. The purpose of a high power resistor is to dissipate heat.
Undacuva
Hi,
I'm looking for a high power resistor. I just got confused over some nomenclature I haven't seen before. (Yes I'm a beginner). I'm seeing resistors named like this: "3R9ohm"and "4R7ohm" I know what R is in V=IR. But in the rating of a resistor? Can someone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power rating (in Watts) is a totally different thing to the resistance of a resistor

your 3R9 and 4R7 are the resistive values ie. 3.9 and 4.7 Ohms respectively

resistors can be purchased with all sorts of power ratings from ~ 1/8 Watt to 100's of Watts
for every day electronics ( maybe higher wattage ratings in high voltage/current situations )Dave

Likes 1 person
The power rating is all about getting rid of heat, so transistors rated for a high power are typically quite large. If you do not know what resistance values mean, I'm not sure if you really need a high power resistor. What is the purpose of the resistor?

Related to Understanding High Power Resistor Ratings: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is a high power resistor?

A high power resistor is a type of electronic component that is designed to dissipate large amounts of power without overheating. It is often used in applications where high currents or voltages are present, such as in power supplies or motor control circuits.

2. How are high power resistors rated?

High power resistors are typically rated based on their power handling capability, which is measured in watts. This rating is determined by the maximum amount of power that the resistor can dissipate without exceeding its temperature rating. Other factors that may affect the rating include the resistor's resistance value and the materials used in its construction.

3. What is the temperature coefficient of a high power resistor?

The temperature coefficient of a high power resistor refers to how its resistance changes with temperature. A positive temperature coefficient means that the resistor's resistance increases as its temperature increases, while a negative coefficient means that the resistance decreases with temperature. This information is important for selecting the correct resistor for a specific application and ensuring its stability over a range of temperatures.

4. Can high power resistors be used in high frequency applications?

Yes, high power resistors can be used in high frequency applications, but it is important to consider the resistor's frequency response and potential for inductive or capacitive effects. In these cases, special high frequency resistors may be necessary to ensure accurate performance and prevent interference with other components in the circuit.

5. What are some common uses for high power resistors?

High power resistors have a wide range of applications, including in power supplies, motor control circuits, voltage regulators, and electronic devices. They are also commonly used in industrial and automotive applications, such as in power distribution systems and electronic control units.