Understanding Impulse, Intensity & Inertia

In summary: Vector quantities can have both magnitude and direction. In physics, scalar quantities are typically just magnitude (intensity is a vector, but scalar quantities are not) and are described by a number, such as "5 m/s." If you have a vector quantity, like direction, you need to specify both the magnitude and direction. For example, if you have a vector with magnitude "5 m" and direction "north," you would say "the vector has a magnitude of 5 meters and is pointing north." "In summary, impulse, intensity, and inertia are all related to changes in momentum. They all have different definitions, but they all involve changing the momentum of an object.
SeManTics
Could someone explain to me the mathematical differences between impulse, intensity, and inertia? I mean, they all start with I's, but I still cannot determine any mathematical precision instead variation among these three.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are basically trying to distinguish the difference between scalar and vector quantities. Do a web search. Scalar forces merely have magnitude, vector forces have magnitude and direction.

First, there are no "mathematical" definitions of these because they are not mathematical concepts. I think you want the definitions of the words as they are used in physics (though the same words are used in other fields with different meanings).

"Impulse" is specifically defined as "change in momentum" and can be written as force times time: applying a specific force to an object for a specific length of time will accelerate the object, changing its velocity and, thus, its momentum. If you apply force F for time T, since acceleration is F/m (speed per unit time), the speed of the object will have increased from v0 to v0+ FT/m. The momentum will have changed from mv0 to mv0+ FT, a change of FT.

"Intensity", I believe, does not have a meaning in any specific field of physics but simply refers to a "how strong" something (light, sound, force, etc.) is, typically given as a single number. If the quantity in question is given as a vector, its intensity is typically the length of the vector.

Finally, "inertia" measures an objects resistance to change in its motion. That is typically what is meant by "mass"- although the question as to why that "mass" is the same as "mass" used to calculate gravitational force (in other words, why all objects have the same acceleration under gravity) is a very deep one.

Intensity refers to power (energy per unit time) flow through a surface. For example, light intensity would be measured in Watts per square centimeter.

Related to Understanding Impulse, Intensity & Inertia

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object and is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which it is applied.

2. How is intensity related to impulse?

Intensity is a measure of the strength or magnitude of a force. In the context of impulse, a higher intensity force will result in a larger change in momentum and therefore a larger impulse.

3. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to an object's mass, with larger mass resulting in greater inertia.

4. How are impulse and inertia related?

Impulse and inertia are inversely related. A larger impulse will result in a greater change in an object's momentum, which in turn will require a greater force to overcome the object's inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse, intensity, and inertia?

Some examples include a football player tackling another player (impulse), a rocket launching into space (intensity), and a heavy object being difficult to move (inertia).