Understanding Integral Operator Equation Manipulations w/ θ(t)

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of an integral operator equation involving the heaviside function, theta(t). The equation is rewritten using dummy variables t1 and t2 and the conversation explains how the equation can be split into two parts and the dummy index names swapped. The third line explains how the second integral can be rewritten over the full range by adding a step function to remove certain bits. The conversation also mentions the use of the time ordering operator in quantum field theory and its relation to Feynman diagrams, but the speaker still has some confusion about the physical interpretation of the dummy variables t1 and t2.
aaaa202
Can anyone help med understand the manipulations done to the integral operator equation attached? θ(t) is the heaviside function so:
θ(t1-t2) = {1 for t1>t2 0 t1<t2}
The t1 and t2 are dummy variables and I don't see how the rewriting takes place.

Attachments

• integralequation.png
    integralequation.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
2nd line: just split the thing into two equal parts and swap the dummy index names on the 2nd half.

3rd line: the 2nd integral (whose upper bound is a dummy variable) can be rewritten over the full range, if you add the step function to remove the bits that are not included in the original integration domain.

2nd line I understood of course :)

What I don't understand on the third line is why the bit that is included in the integration from t0 to t and not in t0 to t1 is related to when t1<t2?

so, let a<b<c be reals and f be a function. [tex] \int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_a^c f(x) \theta(b-x) [/tex] is what you're trying to see. It might be easiest to see if you split the integral on RHS into integrals from a to b and from b to c.

Likes 1 person
Okay I get it now - don't know why I got confused by something so simple. One thing that still confuses me though is that the rewriting you see there is actually the time ordering operator in quantum field theory. And it seems that it is related to the Feynman diagrams describing events happening at different physical times t1, t2. But I don't see how this parallel is drawn since the times are really just dummy variables and from my view you can't give them any physical value. I mean should t1>t2 or the opposite?

FAQ: Understanding Integral Operator Equation Manipulations w/ θ(t)

1. What is an integral operator equation?

An integral operator equation is a mathematical expression that involves an integral operator, which is a symbol that represents the operation of integration. These equations are commonly used in calculus and are used to solve problems involving continuous functions.

2. What does θ(t) represent in an integral operator equation?

θ(t) is a function that represents the Heaviside step function. This function is defined as 1 for all positive values of t and 0 for all negative values of t. In integral operator equations, θ(t) is used to define the limits of integration and determine the range of integration.

3. How do you manipulate an integral operator equation?

To manipulate an integral operator equation, you can use various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques allow you to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What is the importance of understanding integral operator equation manipulations?

Understanding integral operator equation manipulations is crucial for solving advanced mathematical problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. These equations are also used in various real-world applications, making them an essential concept for scientists and researchers.

5. Are there any limitations to using integral operator equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using integral operator equations. These equations can only be used to solve problems involving continuous functions, and they may not be applicable in cases where the function is discontinuous or undefined. Additionally, some integrals may not have closed-form solutions, making it challenging to solve using integral operator equations.