Understanding Intensity in Spectral Lines: A Brief Overview and Common Questions

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
In summary, the conversation revolves around questions about intensity from spectral lines. The first question is regarding the unit cm-2 atm-1, and its origin is unknown. This is followed by a query about the differences between line strength and absolute intensity of a spectral line. The third question pertains to the unit of a recorded spectrum when using a Fourier Transform Spectrometer. The difficulty of measuring absolute intensities is also discussed. The conversation then shifts to the possibility of tuning a laser during an engine cycle and the time it takes to do so.
nordmoon
Can someone help me to clear out a few questions about Intensity from spectral lines.

- I have seen in many reports the unit cm-2 atm-1? Where does this come from?
- What is the differences between line strength and the absolute intensity if the spectral line?
- If you measure light from for example a flame with a FTS (Fourier Transform Spectrometer) What unit does the recorded spectrum have? Is this not possible to determine and you simply use arbitrary units.
- Why is it difficult to measure absolute intensities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone that an help me with the question above?

I have one more question. Is it possible to tune a laser during the cycle of an engine? How fast does it take to tune a laser?

Related to Understanding Intensity in Spectral Lines: A Brief Overview and Common Questions

What is intensity?

Intensity is a measure of the strength or magnitude of a physical quantity. It is often used to describe the amount of energy in a wave, such as light or sound.

How is intensity measured?

Intensity can be measured in a variety of ways, depending on the physical quantity being studied. For example, the intensity of sound can be measured in decibels, while the intensity of light can be measured in watts per square meter.

What factors affect intensity?

The intensity of a physical quantity can be affected by a variety of factors, such as distance, wavelength, and amplitude. For example, the intensity of light decreases as distance from the source increases, and the intensity of sound increases with higher amplitude.

How does intensity relate to perception?

In some cases, intensity can directly affect our perception of a physical quantity. For example, the intensity of light can determine how bright or dim we perceive an object to be. In other cases, perception may be affected by other factors, such as our individual sensitivities.

Why is intensity important in scientific research?

Intensity is a crucial factor in many scientific experiments, as it can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of physical quantities. It also allows for comparisons and measurements between different systems and phenomena.

Back