Understanding Intensity of Plane SHW in 1D, 2D, and 3D

In summary: No, the amplitude of a wave passing through a string is not necessarily proportional to the amplitude of the wave passing through the string in which the density is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the string.
sadhu
I am in eleventh standard , In my book it is given about the plane progressive simple harmonic wave , later somewhere is mentioned about
intensity of wave

what my doubt is
intensity is defined as energy/area
but what about waves in 2d or 1d
plane SHW are 1d as wave progresses in x-axis

how to about for waves in 2d or 3d
surely their amplitude must follow inverse distance or square law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I understand your question correctly, then the answer is yes. For 2-D and 3-D waves, as they spread over farther and farther distances, their amplitudes must decrease because of conservation of energy. In fact, this is why a radio signal gets weaker as you move away from the source of the signal.

Is this what you are asking about?

Last edited:
but how to derive expression for the amplitude of such waves (suppose source is point object)

This may possibly be a homework question, so I can't give you a full derivation, but maybe I can set you off on the right path and you can derive it yourself.

Start with a spherical wave from a point source, which has an intensity [tex]I_o[/tex] at a distance [tex]r_o[/tex] from the source.

Now, remember that: [tex]I=P/A[/tex] where P is power and A is area of the surface the wave is on. Since energy is conserved, power must also be conserved, so we have:

[tex]I_o=P/A_0[/tex] and [tex]I_1=P/A_1[/tex] where I_1 is the intensity at some farther point r_1. Now, can you use these equations and the expressions for the surface areas of the surfaces at r_1 and r_2, to find the ratio of I_1 to I_o? If you can, then how do you relate amplitude to intensity?

i =constant * amplitude square
still I don't think one could go that easily
relation between amplitude and intensity is derived in book and other books at my standard using 1 D wave motion , how can we say that that remains true for all dimensions

i already have thought of something ,but can you tell whether
average energy passing through a point in any wave motion is always half the max. passing through it when its phase=0,2pi etc;

sadhu said:
i =constant * amplitude square
still I don't think one could go that easily
relation between amplitude and intensity is derived in book and other books at my standard using 1 D wave motion , how can we say that that remains true for all dimensions
You can't, you need to make additional assumptions to make the derivation.

For example, the inverse square law assumes a source with spherical wavefronts. You can't apply the inverse square law to laser beams.

Claude.

can you please tell the average intensity of a spherical wave with respect to time
i.e when one complete wave pass through that point in time T

one more thing
can,t we suppose spherical wave amplitude as the amplitude of wave passing through the string in which density is directly proportional to distance square.

and
is it that that for a constant power input for a wave at origin in string waves,
energy present in a single particle (infinitely small part of string) is constant through out the string.

Related to Understanding Intensity of Plane SHW in 1D, 2D, and 3D

1. How is the intensity of plane SHW calculated in 1D, 2D, and 3D?

The intensity of plane SHW (Spectral Half-Wave) is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude of the wave and dividing it by the area of the plane. In 1D, the plane is a line, so the area is simply the length. In 2D, the plane is a surface, so the area is the length multiplied by the width. In 3D, the plane is a volume, so the area is the length multiplied by the width and the depth.

2. What is the significance of understanding the intensity of plane SHW?

Understanding the intensity of plane SHW is important in many fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic radiation. It allows us to measure the strength of waves and determine the amount of energy they carry. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing various systems and devices.

3. How does the intensity of plane SHW change in different dimensions?

The intensity of plane SHW generally increases as the dimensionality increases. In 1D, the intensity is spread out along a line, while in 2D and 3D, it is spread out over a larger area or volume, respectively. This means that the same amount of energy is distributed over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity in 2D and 3D compared to 1D.

4. Can the intensity of plane SHW be negative?

No, the intensity of plane SHW cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude, which cannot be negative.

5. How does the intensity of plane SHW relate to the amplitude of the wave?

The intensity of plane SHW is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave. This means that if the amplitude is doubled, the intensity will be quadrupled. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and properties of waves in different dimensions.