Understanding Isospin in Neutron/Proton System: T & T3

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isospin
In summary, the neutron and proton are considered as two states of a single particle, the nucleon, assigned with a fictitious spin vector called isospin. The isospin follows the same rules as angular momentum vectors and has a third component, T_3. For any value of T_3, the total isospin, T, can take any value equal to or greater than the absolute value of T_3. In the example of a two-nucleon system, T can be 0 or 1. T_3=0 can come from two different combinations, (pn+np)/sqrt{2} for T=1 and (pn-np)/sqrt{2} for T=0.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is from Krane, p 389:

The neutron and the proton are treated as two different states of a single particle, the nucleon. The nucleon is assigned with a fictious spin vector, called isospin.

Nucleon has isospin number t = ½, a proton has [itex] m_{t} = 1/2[/itex] and neutron has [itex] m_{t} = - 1/2 [/itex].

The isospin obeys the same rules for angular momentum vecotrs.

The third component of a nucleus isospin is:
[tex] T_{3} = \frac{1}{2} (Z-N) [/tex]

For any value on [itex] T_{3} [/itex], the total isospin [itex] T [/itex] can take any value at least as great as [itex] |T_{3} | [/tex].

We consider as an example the two-nucleon system, which can have T of 0 or 1. There are thus four possible 3-axis components: [itex] T_{3} = 1[/itex](two protons); [itex] T_{3} = - 1[/itex](two neutrons), and two combinations with [itex] T_{3} = 0 [/itex](one neutron and one proton). The first two states must have T = 1, while the latter two can have T = 0 and T =1.

- - -

Now this is really confusing me. I am think that the according to the statement: For any value on " [itex] T_{3} [/itex], the total isospin [itex] T [/itex] can take any value at least as great as [itex] |T_{3} | [/tex]." The two proton system can therefore have T = 0 or 1. And the same thing regarding the 2N system.

And also how can there be two combinations of P-N that gives [itex] T_{3} = 0 [/itex]? And why isn't just T = 0 allowed?

Should I try to think "backwards": Given a value on T, what values of [itex] T_{3} [/itex] can I have, and what combinations of N and P do they represent?

Cheers:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
"The two proton system can therefore have T = 0 or 1. And the same thing regarding the 2N system."

The two p system has T_3=+1, so T cannot equal zero.
The two n system has T_3=-1, so T cannot equal zero.

Last edited:
T_3=0 can come from the two different combinations
(pn+np)/sqrt{2} for T=1, and
(pn-np)/sqrt{2} for T=0.

okay, I think I got it now. Thanx a lot dude! =)

Related to Understanding Isospin in Neutron/Proton System: T & T3

1. What is isospin and why is it important in the neutron/proton system?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus. It is important in the neutron/proton system because it helps us understand the similarities and differences between these two particles and their behavior in nuclear reactions.

2. How is isospin different from spin?

Isospin and spin are both quantum numbers that describe different aspects of a particle's properties. Spin describes a particle's intrinsic angular momentum, while isospin describes its symmetry with other particles. Isospin is specific to the neutron/proton system, while spin can apply to all particles.

3. How do we measure isospin in a nucleus?

Isospin is measured using experiments that involve nuclear reactions, such as scattering or decay processes. By analyzing the outcomes of these reactions, we can determine the isospin values of the particles involved.

4. What is the significance of T and T3 in the isospin concept?

T and T3 are quantum numbers that are used to describe the isospin of a particle. T represents the total isospin of a particle, while T3 represents the projection of this isospin onto a specific axis. These values help us understand the symmetries and properties of particles in the neutron/proton system.

5. Can particles with different isospin values interact with each other?

Yes, particles with different isospin values can interact with each other. However, these interactions may be different from those between particles with the same isospin values, as the isospin symmetry may be broken in certain reactions. Overall, isospin plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in the neutron/proton system.