Understanding Isotopic Spin in Standard Model Doublets: Electron or Neutrino?

• Thread starter Ruslan_Sharipov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary: Well, I understand that if W+- is absorbed or emitted, then electron/neutrino states could change. My question was about a gauge transformation which is a purely mathematical trick.Why (and how) it changes electron/neutrino states?Ruslan. Because the wave function of a doublet is a sum of two wave functions, one for each component, and performing a gauge transformation changes the wave function of the doublet.
Ruslan_Sharipov
Some elementary particles in Standard Model are grouped into doublets, e. g. electron and e-neutrino (both left). As to me, the wave function of such a doublet should be
[tex]
\psi^{ia}=\left(\begin{array}{c}\nu^a \\ e^a \end{array}\right)
[/tex]
where [itex]i=1,2[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex] is a spinor index. In other words it is composed of electron and neutrino components. If [itex]nu^a=0[/itex], it is a pure electron wave function, and if [itex]e^a=0[/itex] it is a pure nutrino wave function. However, performing an SU(2)-gauge transfoprmation, I can mix the components of the doublet. My question is what particle I actually describe - an electron or a neutrino?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ruslan_Sharipov said:
Some elementary particles in Standard Model are grouped into doublets, e. g. electron and e-neutrino (both left). As to me, the wave function of such a doublet should be
[tex]
\psi^{ia}=\left(\begin{array}{c}\nu^a \\ e^a \end{array}\right)
[/tex]
where [itex]i=1,2[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex] is a spinor index. In other words it is composed of electron and neutrino components. If [itex]nu^a=0[/itex], it is a pure electron wave function, and if [itex]e^a=0[/itex] it is a pure nutrino wave function. However, performing an SU(2)-gauge transfoprmation, I can mix the components of the doublet. My question is what particle I actually describe - an electron or a neutrino?

You describe both. That's the whole point: from the ''point of view'' of the weak interaction, the electron neutrino and the electron are two states of the same particle. They really are very similar to the spin up and spin down states of the electron, except that we don't give different particle names to the spin up and down of the electron. The weak interaction changes an electron neutrino into an electron and vice versa (through the emision or absorption of a W+-) as the elctromagnetic interaction may flip the spin of an electron.

Hope this makes sense.

Patrick

gauge transformation is not a physical process.

nrqed said:
The weak interaction changes an electron neutrino into an electron and vice versa (through the emision or absorption of a W+-).

Well, I understand that if W+- is absorbed or emitted, then electron/neutrino states could change. My question was about a gauge transformation which is a purely mathematical trick.
Why (and how) it changes electron/neutrino states?

Ruslan.

nrqed said:
You describe both. That's the whole point: from the ''point of view'' of the weak interaction, the electron neutrino and the electron are two states of the same particle.

But all the particles in a multiplet commuting with Poincare should have the same mass... Oh wait, they have: they are both massless.

Ruslan_Sharipov said:
Well, I understand that if W+- is absorbed or emitted, then electron/neutrino states could change. My question was about a gauge transformation which is a purely mathematical trick.
Why (and how) it changes electron/neutrino states?

Ruslan.

The gauge transformation doesn't affect the states, nor the observables, it acts only on fields, classical/quantum, which are not really observable.

Daniel.

P.S. Think about the EM field. Do we measure [itex] A_{\mu} [/itex] ...? (which is affected by a U(1) gauge transformation)

arivero said:
But all the particles in a multiplet commuting with Poincare should have the same mass... Oh wait, they have: they are both massless.

Yes..thanks Higgs!:biggrin:

Related to Understanding Isotopic Spin in Standard Model Doublets: Electron or Neutrino?

1. What is isotopic spin?

Isotopic spin is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of an atomic nucleus. It is measured in units of h/2π, where h is the Planck constant.

2. How is isotopic spin different from spin?

Isotopic spin is a specific type of spin that applies to atomic nuclei, while spin can refer to the angular momentum of any quantum particle. Isotopic spin is also quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values, while spin can have any value.

3. What is the significance of isotopic spin in nuclear physics?

Isotopic spin plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It helps explain fundamental properties of nuclei, such as their stability and nuclear reactions.

4. How is isotopic spin measured?

Isotopic spin is measured through experiments using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or Mossbauer spectroscopy. These methods involve applying a magnetic field to the nucleus and observing the resulting energy levels.

5. Can isotopic spin be changed or manipulated?

Yes, isotopic spin can be changed through nuclear reactions, such as radioactive decay or particle bombardment. However, it cannot be directly manipulated in the same way as other quantum properties, such as spin or charge.