Understanding Jacobian in relation to physics

In summary, the conversation discusses using Jacobians in game physics engine to resolve contact forces. The speaker is overwhelmed by the formal definitions and is looking for simple examples or resources to understand their application. The conversation also explains how Jacobians are used to handle multiple directions and the difference between using a function with one variable versus multiple variables. The conversation ends with a discussion on the use of vectors and the Pythagorean theorem for calculating distance in multiple dimensions.
cboyce
I'm working with a game physics engine that uses Jacobians to resolve contact forces. It's been a few years since my physics and linear algebra classes (where we didn't get to Jacobian matrices), so what I'm reading about Jacobians is fairly overwhelming. Most of what I can find are fairly formal definitions, without any examples about what I'm specifically looking for. Can someone give me a couple simple examples about how Jacobians would apply in physics contact resolution, or point me to a resource that does? Or are they complex enough that I need to relearn all the linear algebra leading up to them to understand how to use them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, I think that gives me a good idea where I need to start to understand them.

Don't know if this helps but if you have a simple function of a single variable
such as y = f(x) you can differentiate this to get the slope.
As there is only one direction involved, there is only one slope to chose from.
Variously we write f'(x) or dy/dx etc.

When you are dealing with a function of several variables, as you must be, there are many directions to chose from, all with different slopes available.

The Jacobian is a method of handling this, which is why the matrix contains an array of partial differential coeffiecients. If you like it is a method of resolving the slopes into as many suitable directions as are needed.
Yes linear algebra theory confirms that this is the same number as the number of independent variables.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading, and I've been trying to get an intuitive sense of the constraints in play. Per the example of a holonomic function at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holonomic#Examples", I can intuitively understand that x^2+x^3 - L = 0 constrains a point to someplace on a circle. But then it says given
attachment.php?attachmentid=30060&stc=1&d=1290556566.png
, L is the distance between the two positions ri and rj, but wouldn't ri -rj already give you the distance between the two positions?

Attachments

• 60a65630250a2cf40600a1b4ddcfdbf2.png
    60a65630250a2cf40600a1b4ddcfdbf2.png
    558 bytes · Views: 1,163
Last edited by a moderator:
cboyce said:
But then it says given
attachment.php?attachmentid=30060&stc=1&d=1290556566.png
, L is the distance between the two positions ri and rj, but wouldn't ri -rj already give you the distance between the two positions?

In one dimension, yes. But note the boldface: [tex]\vec{r_i}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{r_j}[/tex] are vectors here, so [tex]\vec{r} = \vec{r_i} - \vec{r_j}[/tex] is the vector specifying the difference between the two, squaring it here is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product" of the resulting vector and itself, i.e. the x-component squared plus the y component squared and so on. So this works for any number of dimensions, by the pythagorean theorem [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] is the distance in 2d, [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex] in 3d and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Jacobian in relation to physics

1. What is the Jacobian in relation to physics?

The Jacobian in physics is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between two systems of coordinates. It is often used in vector calculus to transform equations from one coordinate system to another.

2. How is the Jacobian used in physics?

In physics, the Jacobian is used to simplify calculations and equations that involve multiple variables and coordinate systems. It allows for the transformation of equations between different coordinate systems, such as from Cartesian to polar coordinates.

3. What is the importance of understanding the Jacobian in physics?

Understanding the Jacobian in physics is important because it allows for the translation of mathematical equations between different coordinate systems, making calculations easier and more efficient. It is also a fundamental concept in many branches of physics, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

4. How does the Jacobian relate to the concept of change of variables?

The Jacobian is closely related to the concept of change of variables in physics. When a change of variables is made in an equation, the Jacobian is used to account for how the variables and their derivatives change in relation to each other.

5. Is the Jacobian used in any specific areas of physics?

Yes, the Jacobian is used in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also an important concept in quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the transformation of wave functions between different coordinate systems.