Understanding Jones Matrix: Exploring Light Polarization and Quarter Wave Plates

• Thread starter yklin_tux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, Jones matrix is used to represent the effect of a polarizing element on light polarization. For a Quarter Wave Plate with fast axis horizontal and vertically polarized incident light, the resultant polarization is (0 -i)', which is the same as the original polarization (0 1)' with an arbitrary phase factor. This means that there is no change in the polarization state when the incident polarization is aligned with the fast or slow axis of the QWP. To convert linear polarization to circular, the fast axis must be oriented at 45 degrees to the incident polarization state.
yklin_tux
Hello, I am wondering a little about Jones matrix...

For example, If I have a Quarter Wave Plate with fast axis Horizontal, given by matrix

1 0
0 -i

and a vertically polarized light

the resultant light polarization is

-i

With QWP, it makes sense that if the direction of light polarization is the same as the direction of the fast, or the slow axis, then it does not make sense that the transmitted light is polarized at all, because there aren't electric field components changing phase.

So - is it ok to interpret that

-i

which is the resultant polarization of horizontally polarized light going through a QWP which has
fast axis also horizontal

is the same as

that is the only reasonable explanation to me thus far because nothing should happen to the polarization of light, yet the intuitive answer is different from the jones matrix one

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made an error- I got the resultant polarization for horizontally polarized light through a QWP (fast axis horizontal) as (1,0).

Thus, the vertical polarization is retarded by a quarter wave with respect to the horizontal- in order to convert linear polarization to circular, orient the fast axis at 45 degrees to the incident polarization state.

For a QWP, if the incident polarisation is oriented along the fast or slow axis, then there will be no change in the polarisation state.

The change from (0 1)' to (0 -i)' is not regarded as a change in the polarisation state, as you can multiply through by an arbitrary phase factor to retrieve the original (0 1)' state.

Claude.

Claude, I agree.
If I have a phase factor of e^i(pi/2) then I will just get

E = 0 ihat + E0 * -i*e^i(pi/2) jhat
= 0 ihat + E0 * 1 jhat which is what I began with

Correct me if I am wrong! but it makes sense to me as of now!

The Jones matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the polarization of light. It takes into account the direction and phase of the electric field components of the light waves. In this case, the Quarter Wave Plate (QWP) is a device that changes the polarization of light by a quarter of a wavelength.

In your example, the QWP has a fast axis that is horizontal, meaning that it changes the polarization of light that is polarized in the horizontal direction. The Jones matrix for this QWP reflects this change by having a nonzero element in the (2,2) position, indicating that the electric field component in the horizontal direction will be changed.

When vertically polarized light is incident on the QWP, the Jones matrix calculation shows that the resultant polarization will be in the (-i) vertical direction. This means that the electric field component in the vertical direction will be shifted in phase by a quarter of a wavelength.

Your interpretation is correct in that the resultant polarization is the same as the incident polarization. This is because the QWP only affects light that is polarized in the direction of its fast or slow axis. In this case, the vertical polarization is not affected by the QWP because it is perpendicular to the fast axis.

It is important to remember that the Jones matrix is a mathematical representation of the physical phenomenon of light polarization. It may seem counterintuitive, but the mathematical calculations accurately describe the behavior of light in this scenario.

Related to Understanding Jones Matrix: Exploring Light Polarization and Quarter Wave Plates

1. What is a Jones Matrix?

A Jones Matrix is a mathematical representation of the linear transformation of a polarized lightwave as it passes through an optical system. It consists of four elements that describe the amplitude and phase changes of the electric and magnetic fields of the lightwave.

2. How is the Jones Matrix related to light polarization?

The Jones Matrix is used to analyze and manipulate polarized light. It helps to understand how light changes as it passes through different materials and how different polarizers can affect its polarization state.

3. What is light polarization and why is it important?

Light polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields of a lightwave. It is important because it can affect how light behaves and interacts with different materials, and is essential for many modern technologies such as LCD displays and fiber optics.

4. What is a quarter wave plate and how does it work?

A quarter wave plate is an optical device that can rotate the polarization of light. It consists of a birefringent material, which has different refractive indices for different polarization states of light. As the light passes through the material, its polarization state is altered, resulting in a quarter wavelength phase shift.

5. How can understanding Jones Matrix and quarter wave plates be applied in real-world applications?

Understanding Jones Matrix and quarter wave plates is important in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and remote sensing. It can be used to design and optimize optical systems, improve the performance of devices such as LCD screens, and analyze the polarization properties of light reflected from different surfaces.