Understand K-Space: How Does the White Circle Form?

• Thread starter BobP
  • Start date
In summary: I don't understand what amplitude means. Can you please explain?Amplitude is the quantity of energy or flux contained in a waveform.
BobP
kspace.png

In this image the circle in the top left is the original. Next to it lies its K-space. We then see the result of running through k-space vertically and horizontally and then the combination of these two views.

I do not understand how the white circle can be reproduced. I though we would be adding pixel values in the two k-space data sets hence there should not be a black baground. This is obviously now what is happening. Please can someone explain how the two stripy images form the white circle. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that this is an image from Denis Hoa's website. You should probably give a link or a citation. It is an excellent resource.

On this slide there is only one picture of k-space, the one on the top row, middle column. The picture on the top row right column and bottom row middle column are NOT pictures of k-space. They don't really have a name, but they would be called something like x*ky space and kx*y space. You would never add them together.

DaleSpam said:
I believe that this is an image from Denis Hoa's website. You should probably give a link or a citation. It is an excellent resource.

On this slide there is only one picture of k-space, the one on the top row, middle column. The picture on the top row right column and bottom row middle column are NOT pictures of k-space. They don't really have a name, but they would be called something like x*ky space and kx*y space. You would never add them together.
Absolutely. here is the link if anyone wants it
http://www.revisemri.com/tutorials/what_is_k_space/

What my question meant was how would you combine the "x*ky space and kx*y space" to produce the image? Thank you

BobP said:
What my question meant was how would you combine the "x*ky space and kx*y space" to produce the image? Thank you
You don't combine them.

So, the Fourier transform has the property that it is separable. In keeping with my above notation k-space is kx*ky space. If you Fourier transform in the X direction then you go from kx*ky space to x*ky space. If you then apply another Fourier transform, but in the y direction then you go from x*ky space to x*y space, which is the image.

DaleSpam said:
You don't combine them.

So, the Fourier transform has the property that it is separable. In keeping with my above notation k-space is kx*ky space. If you Fourier transform in the X direction then you go from kx*ky space to x*ky space. If you then apply another Fourier transform, but in the y direction then you go from x*ky space to x*y space, which is the image.

OK so once we have decoded kx space --> x*ky space shouldn't we have a uniform signal at a particular x-value across the whole of y. My reasoning for this is that we know there is a y signal from ky but we don't know where it is. I don't understand why we see fancy patterns?
Thank you for your help by the way

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-25_18-43-44.png
    upload_2015-10-25_18-43-44.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 451
Are you familiar with the sinc function and how it Fourier transforms into a boxcar function?

If you go the other way it may be easier to understand. Start from the image domain and Fourier transform each row to go to the kx*y domain.

If the row is all zeros then it Fourier transforms to all zeros. Otherwise the row looks like a boxcar function so it Fourier transforms to a sinc function.

Different rows will have different boxcar widths and therefore different sinc functions. The "fancy pattern" is just all of those sinc functions put together.

DaleSpam said:
Are you familiar with the sinc function and how it Fourier transforms into a boxcar function?

If you go the other way it may be easier to understand. Start from the image domain and Fourier transform each row to go to the kx*y domain.

If the row is all zeros then it Fourier transforms to all zeros. Otherwise the row looks like a boxcar function so it Fourier transforms to a sinc function.

Different rows will have different boxcar widths and therefore different sinc functions. The "fancy pattern" is just all of those sinc functions put together.

Oh I see. So in any given row, the varying intensity on the figure displaying the kx*y domain arises because of the relative amplitude of the sinc function at the position in kx space?

BobP said:
Oh I see. So in any given row, the varying intensity on the figure displaying the kx*y domain arises because of the relative amplitude of the sinc function at the position in kx space?
Yes, relative amplitude and width.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, relative amplitude and width.
Ah. thanks so much!

You are welcome. By the way, D M Higgins site is an excellent resource as is Denis Hoa's site
https://www.imaios.com/en/e-Courses/e-MRI/The-Physics-behind-it-all

If you are an engineer or physicist looking to do MRI research and development then the Haacke, Brown, Thompson, and Venkatesan book is great. If you are a radiologist or technologist looking to understand MR physics then the Dale, Brown, Semelka book is excellent.

Likes BobP

FAQ: Understand K-Space: How Does the White Circle Form?

1. What is K-Space?

K-Space is a mathematical representation of the data collected during a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. It is a grid-like pattern that contains information about the frequency and phase of the signals detected by the MRI machine.

2. How does the white circle form in K-Space?

The white circle in K-Space represents the center of the grid and is created by the signal from the water molecules in the body. This signal has a high intensity and is detected by the MRI machine, resulting in a bright spot in the center of K-Space.

3. Why is the white circle important?

The white circle is important because it contains crucial information about the structural and chemical properties of the tissues in the body. By analyzing the data within the white circle, doctors and scientists can obtain detailed images of the internal structures of the body.

4. What factors affect the appearance of the white circle in K-Space?

The appearance of the white circle can be influenced by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the type of MRI machine used, and the position and movement of the patient during the scan. Additionally, the chemical composition of the tissues being imaged can also affect the shape and intensity of the white circle.

5. How does understanding K-Space help improve MRI technology?

Understanding K-Space allows for the development of new techniques and methods for acquiring and processing MRI data, leading to improved image quality and faster scan times. By studying K-Space, scientists and engineers can also identify and address any limitations or artifacts in the images, ultimately improving the accuracy and usefulness of MRI technology in medical diagnosis and research.