Understanding Kármán Vortex Street Effect

• Thread starter nik2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vortex
In summary, the conversation discusses the von Karman vortex street effect, which is the phenomenon responsible for driving an Aeolian harp. The effect is characterized by different regimes based on the Reynolds number (Re), with no separation of flow occurring for Re < 5, fixed vortices for 5 < Re < 40, and a laminar vortex street for 40 < Re < 200. The question is raised about why the flow changes regimes and what forces cause the shedding of vortices. Further research on the topic is also mentioned.
nik2011
I was reading about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_harp" . It is explained that "the harp is driven by von Karman vortex street effect"
So I read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Karman_vortex_street" . I also read a few other sources on von Karman vortex street effect.

It is known for the steady flow around a smooth circular cylinder that:
  • for Re < 5 no separation of the flow occurs;
  • for 5 < Re < 40 a fixed pair of symmetric vortices exists in the flow;
  • for 40 < Re < 200 laminar vortex street exists in the flow;

My question is why the flow changes its regime? I. e. why the vortices appears for Re > 5 and why the vortices begin to shed (and what force makes them to so) for Re > 40 and what force made them stay (not shed) for Re < 40? Why do they shed in that ("chess-board", "lamp-post", etc) particular order?

And has any research been done on the topic at all? (I mean exactly why the regime changes. I understand that for each separate regime a lot of research has been done)

Can anyone please explain or point me to such an explanation?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone, please?

Sorry, may be I posted to a wrong section of the forum. I am not actually a physicist.
I'm willing to learn to understand the explanation but I need to know if the explanation exists in the first place.

Related to Understanding Kármán Vortex Street Effect

1. What is the Kármán vortex street effect?

The Kármán vortex street effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a fluid flows past a blunt object, creating vortices on either side of the object. These vortices alternate in a regular pattern, known as a "street," behind the object.

2. What causes the Kármán vortex street effect?

The Kármán vortex street effect is caused by a combination of factors, including the shape of the object, the speed of the fluid, and the viscosity of the fluid. When a fluid flows past a blunt object, it is forced to split and flow around the object, creating vortices on either side.

3. What is the significance of the Kármán vortex street effect?

The Kármán vortex street effect has significant implications in various fields, including aerodynamics, oceanography, and engineering. Understanding this phenomenon can help in predicting and controlling the flow of fluids around objects, which is crucial for designing efficient structures and devices.

4. How is the Kármán vortex street effect studied?

The Kármán vortex street effect can be studied through experiments in a controlled environment, such as a wind tunnel, or through computer simulations using computational fluid dynamics. Both methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the behavior of the vortices and their effects on the flow of the fluid.

5. What are the real-world applications of the Kármán vortex street effect?

The Kármán vortex street effect has numerous real-world applications, including the design of efficient wind turbines, submarines, and buildings. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, marine engineering, and sports equipment manufacturing to improve the performance and stability of various structures and devices.