Understanding LIGO and Its Implications

In summary: However, the concept of gravitational waves has been predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been supported by various experiments and observations. In summary, GRB 070201, a short gamma-ray burst from the Andromeda Galaxy, was likely caused by the merger of a neutron star with either a neutron star or black hole. The non-detection of gravitational waves by LIGO at the time rules out this explanation with high confidence. If future detectors also have null results, it could lead to the need for a new understanding of gravity. While the concept may seem counter-intuitive, it has been supported by evidence and is a fundamental part of modern physics.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
From WIKI,

In February 2007, GRB 070201, a short gamma-ray burst, arrived at Earth from the direction of the Andromeda Galaxy, a nearby galaxy. The prevailing explanation of most short gamma-ray bursts is the merger of a neutron star with either a neutron star or black hole. LIGO reported a non-detection for GRB 070201, ruling out a merger at the distance of Andromeda with high confidence

How can a none detection rule out anything, it may be that the detector was not working?
If a gravitational wave was not detected may be there are none to be detected.

I know that advanced LIGO will not be online until 2014 so what will happen if this new LIGO has null results?

I find it hard to imagine space ringing like a bell as some one once said, it seems in my humble opinion to be none intuitive .

Space news on Phys.org
How can a none detection rule out anything, it may be that the detector was not working?
It can rule out something on the basis of general relativity. General relativity could be wrong, but as far as I know, there is no viable alternative which does not include gravitational waves.

I know that advanced LIGO will not be online until 2014 so what will happen if this new LIGO has null results?
Then we'll need something completely new in some way (assuming the detector works properly).

I find it hard to imagine space ringing like a bell as some one once said, it seems in my humble opinion to be none intuitive .
Physics is often counter-intuitive, and there are countless examples where this has been demonstrated.

Related to Understanding LIGO and Its Implications

1. What is LIGO and what does it do?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. It is a large-scale scientific project that uses two observatories located in the United States to detect gravitational waves - ripples in space-time caused by the most powerful and energetic events in the universe.

2. How does LIGO work?

LIGO uses a technique called interferometry, which involves splitting a laser beam into two separate beams and sending them down two perpendicular arms that are several kilometers long. The beams are then reflected back to a central location where they are recombined. When a gravitational wave passes through the arms, it causes a tiny change in the length of the arms, which can be detected by the interference pattern of the recombined beams.

3. What are the implications of LIGO's discoveries?

LIGO's discoveries have confirmed Einstein's theory of general relativity and opened up a new field of astronomy - gravitational wave astronomy. It allows scientists to study some of the most extreme and violent events in the universe, such as black hole mergers and supernovae, and provides a new tool for understanding the universe and its evolution.

4. How does LIGO benefit society?

Aside from advancing our understanding of the universe, LIGO also has practical applications. The technology used in LIGO can be applied to other fields such as seismology, geology, and precision measurements. Additionally, the collaboration involved in LIGO's research has led to advancements in international cooperation and education.

5. What are the challenges facing LIGO in the future?

One of the main challenges for LIGO is increasing its sensitivity to detect even smaller gravitational waves. This requires constant technological advancements and upgrades to the equipment. Another challenge is securing funding for the project, as it is a long-term and expensive endeavor. Additionally, LIGO must continue to find ways to improve the accuracy of its measurements and data analysis methods.