Understanding Look Elsewhere Effect in Particle Physics

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the look elsewhere effect is when you don't know where your signal is supposed to be, but it's still possible to find it if you look hard enough.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I would like to ask for some guidance concerning this effect. So far I read the article in wiki and what is written about it in the cms page.
As an overall, taking the "definition" from the paper cited by the cms page, "When searching for a new resonance somewhere in a possible mass range, the significance of observing a local excess of events must take into account the probability of observing such an excess anywhere in the range."
However I am not sure I understand how is that possible? obviously in the data someone takes, there will be regions without a significant signal, and maybe regions with a significant signal. For example the [itex]m_{ee}[/itex] for the [itex]Z\rightarrow ee[/itex] will show a peak at ~91 GeV with a width of ~2GeV. Is there any trial factor considered in this Z example? (of course if we say that there isn't, I don't see a reason for such a trial factor to play a role in Z' searches).
One difference is that the LEE appears (let me rephrase it) "when we don't know where our signal is supposed to be". But wasn't that true for all our searches? At first we never knew where a signal was supposed to be, and then we do know..we didn't know that the Higgs was at 126GeV, yet now we do...So I am getting a little confused with when a LEE takes place and when it doesn't.

One additional "problem" I have is that I don't understand how searches (trials) that have not been published affect the data taken from the detector. My problem is that I don't find the connection between the older to the newer analysis... If today I measure 100 events at mass 1TeV, and I don't publish it, how can this lead you in measuring 1000events at 1TeV the next day?

Thanks.
PS. I know this concerns mostly particle physics, but I think the effect itself is a statistical one, that's why I chose this sector to post.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Physics news on Phys.org
Without getting too much into the physics, the look elsewhere effect is just another name for multiple comparisons.

A p value tells you the probability of randomly detecting your signal if there is really no signal. So if your p value is 0.05 then there is only a 5% chance that you "detect" a signal that isn't there. The problem comes if you are looking for a lot of different signals. If each signal is independently p=0.05, and if you look for 14 different signals, then the chance that you randomly detect at least 1 signal is about .5

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Understanding Look Elsewhere Effect in Particle Physics

What is the Look Elsewhere Effect?

The Look Elsewhere Effect (LEE) is a statistical phenomenon that occurs in particle physics experiments where multiple hypotheses are tested on the same data set. This can lead to an increased likelihood of finding a statistically significant result by chance, even when there is no true effect present.

How does the Look Elsewhere Effect impact particle physics research?

The LEE can lead to false positive results, which can be misleading and waste time and resources in further investigation. It also makes it more difficult to accurately determine the significance of an observed result.

What causes the Look Elsewhere Effect?

The LEE is caused by the multiple testing problem, where the more hypotheses that are tested, the more likely it is for a significant result to occur by chance. In particle physics, this is often due to the large number of possible particle interactions and the use of multiple detectors and analysis techniques.

How do scientists account for the Look Elsewhere Effect in their research?

Scientists use various statistical methods and corrections to account for the LEE in their research. This can include adjusting the significance level and using methods such as the Bonferroni correction, which takes into account the number of hypotheses being tested.

Can the Look Elsewhere Effect be completely eliminated?

No, the LEE cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be minimized through careful experimental design and statistical analysis. Collaboration among scientists and replication of results can also help to reduce the impact of the LEE in particle physics research.