Understanding Lorentz Group Generators: Derivation & Step in Eq 15

In summary, the derivation of the Lorentz generators involves raising and lowering indices on a tensor using the metric tensor, g, which has specific values in inertial coordinates. This explains the step in equation 15 on page 3 and why it holds true.
VVS
Hi,
I am trying to understand the derivation of the Lorentz generators but I am stuck.
I am reading this paper at the moment: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1103.0156.pdf
I don't understand the following step in equation 15 on page 3:
[itex]\omega^{\alpha}_{\beta}=g^{\alpha\mu}\omega_{\mu\beta}[/itex]
I don't understand how this can be true. I mean g is not the identity matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS said:
Hi,
I am trying to understand the derivation of the Lorentz generators but I am stuck.
I am reading this paper at the moment: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1103.0156.pdf
I don't understand the following step in equation 15 on page 3:
[itex]\omega^{\alpha}_{\beta}=g^{\alpha\mu}\omega_{\mu\beta}[/itex]
I don't understand how this can be true. I mean g is not the identity matrix.

That's sort of by definition. [itex]g^{\alpha \mu}[/itex] raises indices on a tensor and [itex]g_{\alpha \mu}[/itex] lowers them. Note that in general [itex]\omega^{\alpha}_\beta \neq \omega_{\alpha \beta}[/itex]

In inertial coordinates, [itex]g^{t t} = +1[/itex], [itex]g^{x x} = g^{y y} = g^{z z} = -1[/itex], and [itex]g^{i j} = 0[/itex] if [itex]i \neq j[/itex]. So in inertial coordinates, [itex]\omega^{\alpha}_{\beta} = \pm \omega_{\alpha \beta}[/itex].

Related to Understanding Lorentz Group Generators: Derivation & Step in Eq 15

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical framework used in physics to describe the transformations of space and time between different reference frames. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz and includes rotations and boosts in both space and time.

2. What are Lorentz group generators?

Lorentz group generators are the mathematical operators that generate the transformations within the Lorentz group. They are represented by matrices and can be used to calculate the transformation of a vector from one reference frame to another.

3. How is the Lorentz group derived?

The Lorentz group is derived from the special theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. By considering transformations of space and time that preserve this principle, the Lorentz group is obtained.

4. What is the significance of step 15 in the derivation of Lorentz group generators?

Step 15 in the derivation of Lorentz group generators involves finding the matrix representation of the generators. This step is important because it allows us to use the generators to calculate the transformation of vectors in a specific reference frame, making the Lorentz group applicable to practical situations.

5. How is the Lorentz group used in physics?

The Lorentz group is used in a variety of areas in physics, including special relativity, quantum field theory, and particle physics. It is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and has been verified by numerous experiments, making it a fundamental concept in modern physics.