Understanding Lower Level Math

• Thread starter starrynight108
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's experience with geometry and how they never took a class on it before but are now excited about learning it through a math review book. They also recommend Euclid's Elements for a deeper understanding. The speaker also mentions their substandard education prior to high school and encourages others to not let that discourage them from learning.
starrynight108
Hello,

I felt inspired to share this even though it's probably common knowledge to most people here. So, I've never taken or have been required to take a geometry class. I am currently in calculus 1 and doing just fine. However, I am doing a math review for mastery and I am going over geometry now (using Schaum's Outlines). I have been flat out excited going through this book - especially after learning about the different postulates (chapter 2). Major chunks of my math knowledge are being connected.

My education up until high school was very substandard. I am part to blame, but the institutions were also very low quality. At any rate, I thought I would share this in case anyone else might be interested. Also, if you want to go deeper, try Euclid's Elements. It's about $25 from Amazon.-SN

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You were already doing geometry, you just didn't know it yet :wink:

Related to Understanding Lower Level Math

What is lower level math and why is it important to understand?

Lower level math refers to basic mathematical concepts and skills that are typically taught in the early years of education. This includes topics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and basic algebra. It is important to understand lower level math because it forms the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and is used in various real-world situations.

What are some common challenges students face when trying to understand lower level math?

Some common challenges students face when trying to understand lower level math include difficulty with memorization, lack of practice, and lack of understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, some students may struggle with the abstract nature of math and have a hard time visualizing problems.

How can I improve my understanding of lower level math?

One way to improve your understanding of lower level math is to practice regularly. This can include solving problems, working through examples, and using online resources for additional practice. It may also be helpful to seek out a tutor or teacher for extra support and clarification on difficult concepts.

Why is it important to have a strong foundation in lower level math before moving on to more advanced topics?

Having a strong foundation in lower level math is crucial because it provides the necessary skills and understanding for more complex mathematical concepts. If a student does not have a solid understanding of lower level math, they may struggle with more advanced topics and have difficulty applying them in real-world situations.

How can understanding lower level math benefit me in the future?

Understanding lower level math can benefit you in many ways in the future. It can help with everyday tasks such as budgeting, cooking, and measuring. It is also essential for many careers, including those in science, engineering, finance, and technology. Additionally, having a strong understanding of lower level math can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.