Understanding magnetic flux change during the falling of magnet

RED3RED3
TL;DR Summary
What's the factor which induce EMF in case of falling magnet into the coil
If I drop the magnet into the electromagnetic coil, is magnetic flux density changed or cross sectional area changed during its falling? Actually I dropped a neodymium magnet into the coil and there was the voltage induced but I don't know what's the factor that induce the EMF in this case. Also if there is change of magnetic flux density or cross sectional area, how can I calculate those value without using experimental result I mean the induced EMF value.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Understanding magnetic flux change during the falling of magnet

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the quantity of magnetism, taking into account the strength and the extent of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in Weber (Wb). Magnetic flux through a surface is the surface integral of the normal component of the magnetic field passing through that surface.

How does the magnetic flux change when a magnet falls through a coil?

As a magnet falls through a coil, the magnetic flux through the coil changes. When the magnet approaches the coil, the magnetic flux increases, reaching a maximum when the magnet is at the center of the coil. As the magnet continues to fall away from the coil, the magnetic flux decreases. This change in magnetic flux induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the coil according to Faraday's Law of Induction.

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in any closed circuit is equal to the negative of the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. Mathematically, it is expressed as EMF = -dΦ/dt. This principle is the basis for understanding how changing magnetic flux induces voltage and current in a conductor.

Why does the induced EMF change direction as the magnet falls through the coil?

The induced EMF changes direction because the rate of change of magnetic flux changes direction. When the magnet approaches the coil, the magnetic flux through the coil increases, inducing an EMF in one direction. As the magnet moves away from the coil, the magnetic flux decreases, inducing an EMF in the opposite direction. This change in direction is a direct consequence of Lenz's Law, which states that the induced EMF will always work to oppose the change in magnetic flux.

What role does Lenz's Law play in the falling magnet scenario?

Lenz's Law plays a crucial role in determining the direction of the induced EMF and current. It states that the direction of the induced EMF and resulting current will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it. When a magnet falls towards a coil, the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the magnet's motion. Conversely, as the magnet falls away, the induced current reverses direction to continue opposing the change in magnetic flux.