Understanding Mass, Energy & Space: How Much Energy Does it Take to Move 1 Ton?

In summary: So if you are using 100 lbf to move an object 10 km/h and you do it over an hour then you have done 100 W of work.
raezair
Hi;
disclaimer: I'm not a physicist.
just wondering ... if i was in space and needed to move 1 ton of mass ... how much energy would it require?
if everything in space is weightless then does it really require much energy?
what about inertia? ... if a 1 ton mass was floating toward me could i simply stop it (like superman) with 1 finger??
thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
How fast do you want to move it?

KE = 1/2 m v²
p = m v

Where KE is kinetic energy, p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

well ... just for the example ... let's say 10km per hour and i was going to use 100 pounds of force (arm strength) to move the object

and, then one more variable ... if one was to use a smaller force to move the object over a longer time period then is it the same formula ? ... just with a time variable added ?

for example ... instead of all the force in one instance ... 1/10th the force over 10X the time ... would that be correct ??

so, of your two equations, which equation would I use ?

thanks

raezair said:
... if a 1 ton mass was floating toward me could i simply stop it (like superman) with 1 finger??
thanks

Of course not. The fact that the truck floating towards you is not being pulled down by gravity does not mean it has less energy when it's moving, quite the contrary.
If the object has a certain amount of kinetic energy, you will need that amount to stop it. Otherwise you will be swept away. It depends on what you are picturing when you say 'floating'.
You can't stop a comet with your index finger just because you're in outer space. Superman packs a mean punch, really.

raezair said:
well ... just for the example ... let's say 10km per hour and i was going to use 100 pounds of force (arm strength) to move the object
So, with the formula above you have KE = 1/2 1 ton (10 km/h)² = 3858 J

If we take 3858 J and divide by 100 lbf (W = f d) we get 8.6 m. So a 100 lbf push could slow a 1 ton mass from 10 km/h over a distance of 8.6 m. Since most people don't have arms 8.6 m long this would not work.

raezair said:
and, then one more variable ... if one was to use a smaller force to move the object over a longer time period then is it the same formula ? ... just with a time variable added ?

for example ... instead of all the force in one instance ... 1/10th the force over 10X the time ... would that be correct ??
I think what you are interested in is W = f d where W is work f is force and d is distance. So if you apply the same force over a longer distance then you have done more work. Also remember that work is equal to the change in energy.

Last edited:

FAQ: Understanding Mass, Energy & Space: How Much Energy Does it Take to Move 1 Ton?

1. What is mass and how is it different from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

2. How is energy related to mass and space?

E=mc², or the famous equation by Albert Einstein, shows the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light. Energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

3. How is energy involved in moving 1 ton of mass?

To move 1 ton of mass, a certain amount of energy is required. This energy can come from various sources, such as fuel, electricity, or human effort. The amount of energy needed depends on the distance the mass needs to be moved and the resistance it faces during the movement.

4. Is it possible to move 1 ton of mass without using any energy?

No, it is not possible to move 1 ton of mass without using any energy. Even if the movement is done by a human, their body requires energy to perform the physical task. In order to move an object, energy must be applied to overcome the force of gravity and any other resistance.

5. How does the amount of energy needed to move 1 ton of mass vary in different environments?

The amount of energy needed to move 1 ton of mass can vary in different environments. For example, on Earth, the force of gravity is 9.8 m/s², so more energy is needed to move a ton of mass compared to on the moon where the force of gravity is only 1.6 m/s². Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the amount of energy needed.