Understanding Metabolic Processes: Energy Conservation and Heat Release

In summary, the conversation started with a question about which reactions release energy and which release heat in the metabolic process of oxidizing glucose. The conversation then delved into the role of ATP in respiration and body heat generation in aerobic animals. The original question was split into three parts, asking about the specific reactions that release energy and heat, the method (wavelength) of heat release, and the parameters of temperature. The conversation then went into discussing the base elements involved, specifically the interactions of alkalis with water and oxygen, and the reactivity of carbon-12. The original question was clarified to ask for a well-defined interpretation of the energy released in the system. The second question was clarified to ask about the specific wavelength of heat and vibrations
Taoist
OK I apologize I did it again and overlooked a point and thus you sparked an interest, thanks.

Metabolic Process

In oxidations of glucose, as described in respiration, energy is released and is shown to be held within atp’s as reserved energy but we also know this reaction is what gives body heat to aerobic animals.

So my question is 3 parts;

1) what reactions are issuing conserved energy and which are releasing heat?,
2) in what method (wave length) and
3) what specifies the parameters of temperature?

I am considering the base elements themselves to begin with. The alkali’s have an issue with water and oxygen for example and carbon-12 can bond with just about anything in a reactive fashion. Can you help with this?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've split this off the "Evolution" thread. Please don't start new topics in other people's threads.

I sure am glad we have you looking out for us MB.

Thanks for the correction but can you answer my questions?

Could you rephrase or expand on all three of them? They don't make a whole lot of sense as written.

But to make an attempt:

1. [edit: deleted, vast oversimplification - yield to Moonbear]
2. Chemical energy is released as heat. There is no specific frequency of radiation.

#3 makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Taoist said:
OK I apologize I did it again and overlooked a point and thus you sparked an interest, thanks.

Metabolic Process

In oxidations of glucose, as described in respiration, energy is released and is shown to be held within atp’s as reserved energy but we also know this reaction is what gives body heat to aerobic animals.
It's not the formation of ATP that generates body heat, it is the enzymatic breakdown of ATP to ADP that allows energy to be released for generation of heat. Phosphate bonds are high energy bonds.

So my question is 3 parts;

1) what reactions are issuing conserved energy and which are releasing heat?,

What do you mean "issuing conserved energy?" "Issued" is a vague term in this context. If the energy is being conserved, it is not being released. Any biochemistry textbook will go over the basics of glycolysis vs. gluconeogenesis and the various reactions that produce ATP or break it down to ADP.

As for the generation of heat, here is the abstract of an article you might be interested in reading further:
Biosci Rep. 2005 Jun-Aug;25(3-4):181-90.
Role of sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase in thermogenesis.

de Meis L, Arruda AP, Carvalho DP.

Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Cidade Universitaria, 21941-590 RJ, Brasil.

Enzymes are able to handle the energy derived from the hydrolysis of phosphate compounds in such a way as to determine the parcel that is used for work and the fraction that is converted into heat. The sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPases (SERCA) is a family of membrane-bound ATPases that are able to transport Ca(2+) ion across the membrane using the chemical energy derived from ATP hydrolysis. The heat released during ATP hydrolysis by SERCA may vary from 10 up to 30 kcal/mol depending on the SERCA isoform used and on whether or not a Ca(2+) gradient is formed across the membrane. Drugs such as heparin, dimethyl sulfoxide and the platelet-activating factor (PAF) are able to modify the fraction of the chemical energy released during ATP hydrolysis that is used for Ca(2+) transport and the fraction that is dissipated in the surrounding medium as heat. The thyroid hormone 3,5,3'-triiodo L: -thyronine (T(3)) regulates the expression and function of the thermogenic SERCA isoforms. Modulation of heat production by SERCA might be one of the mechanisms involved in the increased thermogenesis found in hyperthyroidism.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16283552&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum
2) in what method (wave length) and
Method for what?
3) what specifies the parameters of temperature?
I have no idea what you're even asking. You'll have to explain what you're looking for there. Use of the term "parameter" makes no sense in this context. http://www.wordreference.com/definition/parameter

I am considering the base elements themselves to begin with. The alkali’s have an issue with water and oxygen for example and carbon-12 can bond with just about anything in a reactive fashion. Can you help with this?
No, because I have no idea what you're asking. What alkalis? What "issue"? Again, that's just too vague to be answerable.

2) Seems he's asking for what temp. the energy is released as. As heat, it is in the IR range. Which sort of answers #3 as well.

Now that’s Love. I feel blessed to have the mentors and advisors working with me. Thanks … :>:>

Mr. Waters .. why is the first question so oversimplified …. There are a few reasons for the reactions and the primary is to release energy. My question was asking what elements of the molecules are releasing which energy. We have base elements combined in molecules that are interacting with other elements to release energy, so I am asking for a well defined interpretation so I can address the variables of the system to find out what the energy released is exactly!

# 2 …… all heat and active vibrations of any molecule has a wave length …. Yes I believe there are specifics here, sir! Can you help?

#3 Sir, I apologize maybe my wording is incorrect, it happens but let’s take a look If you combine oxygen and butane we know what we are going to get in a temperature range for certain welding or torch usage. Well I am asking for that in a protein exchange. What combinations issue which range of energy or wave length? It’s just a smaller scale but rules should still apply when we combine certain elements or molecules.

DaveC ….. your right, “in the infrared” a wave length. Almost like a water molecule when it’s frozen it can become fixed because of the low energy state, juice up water with a little heat and you have water molecules carrying heat or emr/photon, am I understanding this correctly?

MB…… ATP’s ….. the term ‘conserved energy’ is from the observed description of the results in a glucose oxidation within aerobic cell respiration. (I was using the most common reaction of aerobic life forms to keep on the same playing field, sir.) . After the reconfiguration is done, energy is released (heat); these (ATP) molecules are returned to complete another task in a state of conserved energy but “yes” some are converted to adp’s but still acting almost like a capacitor, it’s juiced up and ready to complete another reaction. I was wondering if maybe the molecule then converts to another energy capacity or resonance to address the next duty based on the molecular capacity to hold energy.

The alkali’s are a group of elements. Potassium and Sodium are the most reactive elements on the chart to water and oxygen. They are a bunch of “little bombs.” From what I understand our bodies are made of primarily oxygen, sodium, potassium, hydrogen, carbon and water of course (molecule). So my point was that by looking into the base elements and the properties of these I begin to ask a few questions, sir.

And when looking directly at the molecules of sugars etc and the reactions, heat, and release of this energy, [diatomic reactions (I use this term because of the quantity of diatomic molecules that are so reactive and how they burst energy in various wavelengths] I see that a range of wavelengths are actually released and it’s not so much as a handing of a vibration from one molecule another but as a burst of energy, like a rock on water that will actually affect all other molecules in the proximity. As these waves roll out other molecules capture some of this (just guessing sir) upon their structure and become catalysts in their own stage. For example mitosis cannot begin until a specific temperature is reached or the surrounding resonance must be at 98.6 I believe for us, sir.

Just and thought that I was hoping you could help me with.

Last edited:
Taoist said:
Mr. Waters .. why is the first question so oversimplified ….
I meant that my answer - my understanding of the biology - was oversimplified.
# 2 …… all heat and active vibrations of any molecule has a wave length …. Yes I believe there are specifics here, sir! Can you help?
No, they don't. Chemical reactions release heat, and heat can be transferred via conduction or radiation (convection and conduction are the same thing on a molecular level). Conducted heat has no frequency and radiated heat is black-body radiation, so it is over a broad spectrum of frequencies.
DaveC ….. your right, “in the infrared” a wave length. Almost like a water molecule when it’s frozen it can become fixed because of the low energy state, juice up water with a little heat and you have water molecules carrying heat or emr/photon, am I understanding this correctly?
No, you aren't. "Infrared" is not a wavelength, it is a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum encompassing a broad range of wavelengths. And heat is not necessarily only transferred via radiation, as I said above.

OK …. I understand we are not all a jack of all trades. I can build a self sustaining desalination plant but not a rocket to go to the moon, so yes I understand.

On the number 2 items I beg to differ with your interpretation because even in conduction, phonon properties are measured in wave lengths and I thought all energy even the stuff that holds molecules together is emr or emr is released when we bring any molecule to an absolute rest state and it breaks down to its base elements.

Convection is just rising molecules once heat or energy is captured; ie.. boiling water but in either case these molecules are holding energy, conveying or moving because of the energy the molecule captured.

So infrared is a band or range of the emr spectrum and convection and conductions are the methods of sharing within a solid, liquid or gas and in a vacuum infrared moves as a propagated radiation, OK. My point is all of it is emr/energy in a sense when you break apart the pieces. Correct?

Now to follow this path if potassium is combined with a water molecule is there a description of the range of wavelength’s released? And if we combine them in a surrounding body of other molecules would the energy released act like a rock thrown into a pond with the energy in all it’s forms roll over the medium?

Finally if we have these other molecules encircling this reaction is it possible that the surrounding molecules may capture some of this energy?

Thanks for the assistance, sir.

Related to Understanding Metabolic Processes: Energy Conservation and Heat Release

What are metabolic processes?

Metabolic processes refer to the chemical reactions that occur in living organisms to maintain life. These processes involve the breakdown of nutrients to release energy, which is then used for various biological functions.

How is energy conserved in metabolic processes?

Energy conservation in metabolic processes occurs through the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the primary energy currency in cells. Through a series of chemical reactions, the breakdown of nutrients such as glucose produces ATP, which is then used for various cellular processes.

What is the role of enzymes in metabolic processes?

Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in metabolic processes. They help to speed up the chemical reactions involved in breaking down nutrients and producing ATP. Without enzymes, metabolic processes would occur too slowly to sustain life.

How do metabolic processes release heat?

As chemical reactions occur in metabolic processes, some energy is lost as heat. This heat release helps to maintain the body's temperature and is especially important in regulating body temperature during physical activity or in extreme environments.

What factors can influence metabolic processes?

Several factors can influence metabolic processes, including genetics, age, diet, exercise, and environmental factors. For example, certain genetic mutations can affect the function of enzymes involved in metabolic processes, while a high-fat diet can lead to an increase in metabolic rate. Additionally, regular exercise can improve the efficiency of metabolic processes, while extreme temperatures can also impact these processes.