Understanding Moment Direction: Analysis and Solution for Homework

In summary: Since you said that the moment at B is positive 400Nm, then ...Since the moment at B is positive, the net moment acting on the beam at C is positive.
SteamKing said:
There is no moment applied at point A, so there won't be one showing up on any moment diagram.

There is a moment applied at point B, which is why the moment diagram starts there.
Sorry, I think u misunderstood me... I refer to the thread below...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
why the moment of the beam is not restricted about B , but is restricted about A ?

Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
If you look at the moment plot at C, it clearly indicates that the reactive moment there is -400 N-m, which, when added to the moment at B of +400 N-m, equals zero net moment.
Do you mean that since the moment at B is positive 400Nm, so the moment -400Nm must be restricted at any points along beam BC to keep it in equilibrium?
Your interpretation of what the plot would look like would require a net change in moment of -800 N-m, which is not supported by the loading of the beam.

SteamKing said:
There is no moment applied at point A, so there won't be one showing up on any moment diagram.

There is a moment applied at point B, which is why the moment diagram starts there.
sorry , can you help me in the following thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moment-diagram.878559/#post-5520349
?? Thanks in advance!

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you mean here.

The moment diagram doesn't plot discrete values of BM in isolation, like you apparently want to do.

At point B, the moment goes from 0 to +400 N-m, which is why there is a jump at this location.

The moment remains constant at +400 N-m from point B to point C, where the reactive moment of -400 N-m is added to the +400 N-m, to bring the net moment back to zero.

You should review how shear force and bending moment values are plotted for regular beam problems.
it it because of the reaction moment and moment causes the part of beam to become concave downwards, so bending moment is negative?

Last edited: