Understanding Motion: Solving Problems with Integrals and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses problems involving integrals and finding position, velocity, and acceleration functions. The questions involve finding these functions given certain information such as acceleration and initial velocity. The conversation also mentions the use of constants and the concept of reversing functions.
myanmar
I'm doing some stuff with integrals, and my homework has these problems. I'm quite confused. Any help would be nice, although I don't want you to solve them for me. I know my integrals (I did problems 1-8 fine, which was just taking integrals), but have no idea how to do this.

9. Find the position function s(t) given acceleration a(t) = 3t if v(2) = 0
and s(2) = 1.
10. An object in rectilinear motion has acceleration a(t) = 12t - 6. If the
velocity at time t = 2 is -3, and the position at time t = 1 is 4, nd
the position function, s(t), for the object.
11. A particle starts moving along the x-axis from the point (100, 0),
(distance in meters) and with an initial velocity of 25 m/min. If the
acceleration is given by the equation a(t) = 13sqrt(t), what is the equation
of motion of the particle?
The next two questions involve the following situation: An
astronaut stands on a platform 3 meters above the moon's surface and
throws a rock directly upward with an initial velocity of 32 m/s.
12. Given that the acceleration due to gravity on the moon's surface is 1.6
m/sec^2, derive an equation which gives the height of the rock at time
t seconds (valid while the rock is in the air).
13. How high will the rock travel?
14. A bocce ball is accidentally dropped from a building 98m high. How
long does it take for the bocce ball to hit the gound, given that the
acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second?
The next two questions involve the following situation: A
particle moving along the number line has acceleration given by a(t) =
2t - 1. We also know that s0 = 2 and v0 = -2.
15. What is the net distance traversed from time t = 0 to t = 3?
16. What is the total distance traversed from time t = 0 to t = 3?

--
I'm using the rules of integrals
--
No idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions 9/10/11. If you know acceleration, can you find a function for velocity? And if you know the function for velocity, can you find a function for displacement?
Keep in mind C (constants)

Perhaps you need to think the other way: If you are given a position function, how do you find the velocity function? The acceleration function? How do you reverse those?

FAQ: Understanding Motion: Solving Problems with Integrals and Acceleration

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the calculation of the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the exact value of a quantity that is continuously changing over a period of time.

2. How is integration related to acceleration?

Acceleration is the change in velocity over time. Integration is used to find the velocity from the acceleration function by calculating the area under the acceleration curve. This is known as reverse differentiation.

3. What is the connection between integrals and motion?

Integrals are used to calculate the displacement and velocity of an object in motion. By integrating the acceleration function, we can determine the velocity and position of an object at any given time.

4. How do you find the integral of a function?

To find the integral of a function, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or software programs to solve integrals quickly and accurately.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals and acceleration?

Integrals and acceleration are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and finance. Some common applications include calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the work done by a force, and finding the average value of a continuously changing quantity.

Back