Understanding of pKa and Ammonia Solution

• Thread starter Guillermo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammonia
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the pH of a 0.005 mol/l ammonia solution given a pKa value of 9.3. The equation used is Kb=[OH-][NH4+]/[NH3], and the final result is obtained by solving for x and converting to pH using the pOH equation. The conversation also touches on the validity of using simplified equations and the importance of checking the degree of dissociation.
Guillermo
Here is the problem:

Given pKa=9.3 what is pH of 0.005 mol/l ammonia solution.

The problem is, I don't get this pKa part. I mean, I know t means Ka=5.0119*10^-10 but ammonia is a base, not acid.

G

Chemistry news on Phys.org
pKa + pKb = pKw

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not quote signatures.

No. What you have calculated is pOH, not pH. Besides, check the degree of dissociation - are you sure you can use simplified equation?

Ah, so the pH is 10.5!

G

NO!

Equation you have used - [OH] = sqrt(C*Kb) is valid only if the degree of dissociation is below 5%. In this case it is higher:

3.16e-4(dissociated ammonia concentration)/0.005(ammonia concentration) * 100% = 6.3%

so you have to use full quadratic equation.

Smarkotan oz gluthozmaz

Borek said:
NO!

so you have to use full quadratic equation.

:cry: I missed your last post and my result was wrong :cry:

G

PS Check my new problem, please...

Here is the problem:

Given pKa=9.3 what is pH of 0.005 mol/l ammonia solution.

The problem is, I don't get this pKa part. I mean, I know t means Ka=5.0119*10^-10 but ammonia is a base, not acid.

alright, take it step by step...to go from pKa to Ka, simply negative inverse log of pKa. KaKb=Kw, Kb=Kw/Ka (Kw is the autodissociation of water).

[tex]Kb=[OH-][NH4+]/[NH3],~Kb=[x][x]/[initial~conc.~NH3-x][/tex] solve for x, and that will be [0H-]. pOH=-log[0H-], pH+p0H=14, solve for pH.

that's it, you shouldn't be having so much trouble with this

Related to Understanding of pKa and Ammonia Solution

1. What is the definition of pKa?

pKa is a measure of the acidity of a solution and is the negative logarithm of the equilibrium constant for a weak acid. It represents the tendency of a molecule to donate a proton in a solution.

2. How is pKa related to the strength of an acid?

The lower the pKa value, the stronger the acid. This means that a lower pKa indicates a greater tendency for the acid to dissociate and donate a proton in a solution.

3. How does ammonia solution act as a base?

Ammonia solution, also known as ammonium hydroxide, is a weak base. It acts as a base by accepting a proton from an acid, forming ammonium ions (NH4+) in solution.

4. How can pKa be used to predict the behavior of a weak acid in a solution?

pKa can be used to determine the strength of a weak acid and its tendency to donate a proton in a solution. A lower pKa value indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pKa value indicates a weaker acid. This information can be used to predict how the acid will behave in a solution.

5. What is the relationship between pKa and pH?

pKa and pH are related through the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which describes the relationship between the concentration of a weak acid and its conjugate base in a solution. pH is the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, while pKa is the negative logarithm of the equilibrium constant for a weak acid. A lower pKa value corresponds to a lower pH, indicating a more acidic solution.