Understanding Op-Amp Gain with Potentiometer Configuration

In summary: You've just solved the problem for me.In summary, this homework statement is about finding the maximum gain for a potentiometer. The gain ranges from -1V/V to -10V/V, and the potentiometer has a wiper that can be moved between two positions, representing x and (1-x)R4. The expression for the maximum gain is derived and set equal to the given value, -10. The gain can be found by dividing R4 into two pieces, x*R4 and (1-x)*R4, and then multiplying by xR4.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Here's the network:
CCI11102011_00000.jpg

R1=100
The gain ranges from -1V/V ---> -10V/V and the potentiometer R4=10.
Is R4 and R3 in parallel with each other? I can't seem to get the right answer...

Moreover, this is what was done:

-(R2/R1)(1+(R4/R2)+(R4/R3))=-10

Can someone please explain this. I know what the -10 means, I just do not really understand what was done here, whether it be a voltage divider, current divider or neither.

Regards, D.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but I'm subscribing to this threat because of that reason.

sandy.bridge said:
-(R2/R1)(1+(R4/R2)+(R4/R3))=-10

Can someone please explain this. I know what the -10 means, I just do not really understand what was done here, whether it be a voltage divider, current divider or neither.

Neither and both :smile:

An expression for the maximum gain was derived and set equal to the given value, -10.

In order to find that expression for the gain, consider dividing R4 into two pieces, x*R4 and (1-x)*R4, where 0≤x≤1. A KCL node equation at the "wiper" of the potentiometer (which is now where the two new resistances meet) would be a good start.

Once you've got the full expression for the gain, plug in x=0 for one extreme and x=1 for the other. It should be simple to pick out which of the two resulting expressions represents the maximum gain.

Okay, I'll show you my work. I cannot seem to get it. Thanks in advance.

I let the bottom half of the wiper symbolize xR4, and the top half (1-x)R4. The current passing through R2 and entering the node at the wiper is vi/100.

I can then do a current divider at the node to determine how much of this current will enter the bottom half of the wiper.

(vi/100)((1/((1-x)R4+R3))+(1/xR4))^(-1)(1/xR4)

Now. multiplying this by xR4 regards the voltage drop for the bottom part of the wiper.

vo= -vi(R2/100)-((vi*R4*x)/100)(((1-x)R4+R3)/(xR4+(1-x)R4+R3))

This for sure does not get me the right answer.

Can you justify using a current divider formula here? After all, one end of the divider is terminated at ground potential while the other is driven by Vo.

Here's your circuit redrawn to indicate the parts you've described. I suggest that you write a KCL node equation for the node labeled V1. Note that V1 is also determined by the input current passing through R2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39899&stc=1&d=1318386683.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,007
Hmm, I managed to determine R2 but I am assuming it was via fluke.. Here's the equations I set up.

i1=i2+i3, where i2 going to towards vo through xR4, and i3 goes towards ground potential.

i1=i2+i3
(vi/100)=((v1-vo)/xR4) + v1/((1-x)R4+R3)

where v1 = i1*R2=(vi*R2)/100

I'm pretty sure it is at this point I have already messed something up as when I solve for R3 I get a negative resistance..

Thanks

Nevermind, I totally did have it right, I just messed up a negative sign. v1=-(vi*R2)/100

Thanks a lot.

FAQ: Understanding Op-Amp Gain with Potentiometer Configuration

What is an op-amp with potentiometer?

An op-amp with potentiometer is a circuit that combines an operational amplifier (op-amp) with a potentiometer (a variable resistor). The potentiometer allows for the adjustment of the input voltage and the amplification of the output voltage.

How does an op-amp with potentiometer work?

An op-amp with potentiometer works by using the potentiometer to control the amount of negative feedback in the op-amp circuit. This negative feedback helps stabilize the output voltage and allows for precise control of the amplification.

What are the advantages of using an op-amp with potentiometer?

The main advantage of using an op-amp with potentiometer is the ability to easily adjust and control the amplification of the output voltage. This makes it useful in a variety of applications, such as audio amplifiers, signal conditioning, and voltage regulation.

What are the limitations of an op-amp with potentiometer?

One limitation of an op-amp with potentiometer is that it requires a stable power supply to function properly. Additionally, the potentiometer can introduce noise and affect the accuracy of the output voltage if not properly calibrated.

How do I choose the right potentiometer for my op-amp circuit?

The right potentiometer for an op-amp circuit depends on the specific application and desired output voltage range. You should consider factors such as the resistance range, power rating, and linearity when choosing a potentiometer for your circuit. Consulting a datasheet or seeking advice from a knowledgeable engineer can help you make the best choice.