Understanding Overlay Plots in Linear Regression

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, an overlay plot in the context of linear regression means putting a plot of the fitted model on top of the observed data. The question asks for an overlay plot of the fitted model on the actual values against the observed cases, as well as a plot of the residuals against the fitted values. This means fitting the actual data with the linear regression model and calculating the residuals by subtracting each actual data point from the corresponding expected value on the regression line.
maverick280857
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what an overlay plot exactly is, in the context of linear regression.

Specifically, I have data to fit a model Y in terms of regressor variables x1 - x8 and the question asks me to

"Obtain the overlay plot of the fitted model on the actual values against the observed cases. Obtain the plot of the residuals against the fitted values."

What do I have to do here?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Overlay plot means putting a plot on top of another. You just, in this case put the fitted model on the top of the observed data, which means fit actual data with your linear regression model. Residual is calculated by using each actual datum subtract corresponding expected value on the regression line.

zli034 said:
Overlay plot means putting a plot on top of another. You just, in this case put the fitted model on the top of the observed data, which means fit actual data with your linear regression model. Residual is calculated by using each actual datum subtract corresponding expected value on the regression line.

Thanks...got it!

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Overlay Plots in Linear Regression

What is an overlay plot?

An overlay plot is a type of graph used in data visualization that displays multiple data sets on the same plot, allowing for easier comparison and analysis.

How is an overlay plot different from a regular plot?

An overlay plot differs from a regular plot in that it can display multiple data sets on the same plot, whereas a regular plot typically only displays one data set. This allows for easier comparison and identification of patterns and trends in the data.

What are the benefits of using an overlay plot?

The use of an overlay plot can help to simplify and clarify complex data, as well as identify relationships and patterns between multiple data sets. It also allows for efficient analysis and comparison of data, saving time and effort.

What types of data are suitable for overlay plots?

Overlay plots are suitable for any type of data that can be represented on a graph, such as numerical data, categorical data, and time series data. They are especially useful for comparing data sets with similar units of measurement.

Are there any limitations to using overlay plots?

One limitation of using overlay plots is that they can become cluttered and difficult to interpret if too many data sets are overlaid on the same plot. Additionally, if the data sets being compared have vastly different scales or units of measurement, it may be more appropriate to use a different type of graph.