Understanding Parabolas: Equation of Axis of Symmetry Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter DimeADozen
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the equation of the axis of symmetry for a parabola given by the equation y=6(x+1)(x-5). The formula for finding the axis of symmetry is (p+q)/2, which means (1-5)/2 or -4/2, but the correct answer is 2. This is because the intercepts are at x=-1 and x=5, not x=-5. The formula itself is correct, but it's important to remember that the x intercept is different when looking at a graph than it is in algebraic form.
DimeADozen
I've encountered a question that I need help understanding the answer to.

The question is:
What is the equation of the axis of symmetry of the parabola given by the equation y=6(x+1)(x-5)?

Now, I know this quadratic equation is in intercept form, and I know that the formula for finding the axis of symmetry for this is (p+q)/2

Which means that it's (1-5)/2
then -4/2
Which equals -2. But it says that the correct answer is 2, not -2.
I'm confused, is my formula wrong? Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's because if $(x - a)$ is a factor of your equation, then the intercept is at $x = a$, not $x = -a$. So in fact your parabola has intercepts $x = -1$ and $x = 5$, and so you would get $\frac{-1 + 5}{2} = \frac{4}{2} = 2$ as expected. The formula itself is correct.

As an example, try plotting $y = x - 5$, and you'll see it intercepts the x-axis at $x = 5$, and not $x = -5$. In the same way, try plotting your parabola and see where it intercepts the x-axis.​

Ah, I forgot the rule for the x intercept. It's different when looking at a graph than it is in algebraic form. You've definitely helped me, thanks a bunch!

Related to Understanding Parabolas: Equation of Axis of Symmetry Explained

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed when a quadratic equation is graphed. It is a type of conic section and can be defined as the set of all points that are equidistant from a fixed point (focus) and a fixed line (directrix).

What are the key features of a parabola?

The key features of a parabola include the vertex, focus, directrix, axis of symmetry, and the x- and y-intercepts. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the curve, the focus and directrix determine the shape of the parabola, the axis of symmetry is the line that divides the parabola into two equal halves, and the x- and y-intercepts are the points where the parabola crosses the x- and y-axis.

How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you will need to identify the key features (vertex, focus, directrix, axis of symmetry, and intercepts) and plot them on a coordinate plane. Then, use these points to sketch the curve of the parabola. It is also helpful to find additional points by plugging in different x-values into the equation and plotting the corresponding y-values.

What is the standard form of a parabola?

The standard form of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form is also known as the vertex form, and it makes it easier to identify the key features of a parabola. The value of a determines whether the parabola opens up or down, b affects the position of the vertex, and c represents the y-intercept.

How are parabolas used in real life?

Parabolas are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the trajectories of projectiles, such as a thrown ball or a rocket. They are also used in architecture to design arches and bridges. In economics, parabolas can be used to model the relationship between cost and profit. Additionally, parabolas can be used in optics to describe the shape of a satellite dish or a parabolic mirror.