Understanding Parametric equations

In summary, to find the equation of the tangent line to a parametric curve, we can use the chain rule to find the slope and then use the point-slope formula to get the equation of the tangent line. For the first question, the point (\sqrt{3}, 1) corresponds to the parameter value t=\frac{\pi}{6} by setting the equations equal to the given coordinates. Plugging this value into the slope of the tangent line, we get a slope of \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}. Using this and the given point, we can use the point-slope formula to get the equation of the tangent line, which is y = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x -
Dethrone
I have a few trivial questions regarding finding equations of the tangent line:

1) Find an equation of the tangent line to the parametric curve:

x = 2 sin 2t y= 2 sin t

at the point \(\displaystyle (\sqrt{3}, 1)\)

The textbook says that point "corresponds to the parameter value \(\displaystyle t= \frac{pi}{6}\)"

How do they know that? After testing for a few minutes, I noticed that tan-1\(\displaystyle (\sqrt{3}/1) \) = \(\displaystyle t= \frac{pi}{6}\) Is that how they determined it?

2) Similar question but
x = t sin t
y = t cos t
point (0, -pi)

Using \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}\), I got
\(\displaystyle \frac{(cos t -sint)}{(sin t + cos t)}\) = slope of tangent lineI then plugged the "0" from the point (0, -pi) into the equation...
(cos 0 - sin 0) / (sin 0 + cos 0) = 1

Is that right/am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I would do for the first one is use the chain rule as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}\)

Now, using the given parametric equations, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2\cos(t)}{4\cos(2t)}= \frac{\cos(t)}{2\cos(2t)}\)

To determine the value of $t$, we could use:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=2\sin(t)=1\,\therefore\,\sin(t)=\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle x(t)=2\sin(2t)=\sqrt{3}\,\therefore\,\sin(2t)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\,\therefore\, \cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

With no given restriction on $t$, we could state that these conditions correspond to:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{6}+2k\pi=\frac{\pi}{6}(12k+1)\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

However, the value of $k$ will not affect the equation of the tangent line, so we may as well let $k=0$, and use:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{6}\)

So, now you may compute the slope of the tangent line, and then using the given point, apply these to the point-slope formula to get the equation of the tangent line.

What do you find?

Rido12 said:
2) Similar question but
x = t sin t
y = t cos t
point (0, -pi)

Using \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}\), I got
\(\displaystyle \frac{(cos t -sint)}{(sin t + cos t)}\) = slope of tangent lineI then plugged the "0" from the point (0, -pi) into the equation...
(cos 0 - sin 0) / (sin 0 + cos 0) = 1

Is that right/am I on the right track?

You are using an incorrect value for $t$...does $y(0)=-\pi$?

MarkFL said:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4\cos(2t)}{2\cos(t)}= \frac{2\cos(2t)}{\cos(t)}\)

\(\displaystyle x(t)=2\sin(2t)=\sqrt{3}\,\therefore\,\sin(2t)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\,\therefore\, \cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

With no given restriction on $t$, we could state that these conditions correspond to:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{6}+2k\pi=\frac{\pi}{6}(12k+1)\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

However, the value of $k$ will not affect the equation of the tangent line, so we may as well let $k=0$, and use:

So, now you may compute the slope of the tangent line, and then using the given point, apply these to the point-slope formula to get the equation of the tangent line.

What do you find?

Is it not

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2\cos(t)}{4\cos(2t)}= \frac{\cos(t)}{2\cos(2t)}\)

Since,

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt} = 2 cost \)
(dy/dt [2 sin t] = 2 cos t)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt} = 4\cos(2t) \)
(dy/dt [2 sin 2t] = 2 cos(2t) * 2)

Rido12 said:
Is it not

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2\cos(t)}{4\cos(2t)}= \frac{\cos(t)}{2\cos(2t)}\)...

Yes, I misread, and have fixed my post.

MarkFL said:
You are using an incorrect value for $t$...does $y(0)=-\pi$?

No, I guess I will try to use the same logic as 1)

x(t) = t sin t

y(t) = t cos t

We want the point (0, -pi)

Hence,

x(t) = t sin t = 0
therefore, t = 0

y(t) = t cos t = -pi
?Question 1)

Got stuck here:

How does sin 2t = cos t?

There are other values of $t$ which make $\sin(t)=0$. As you go around the unit circle, what is the next one?

MarkFL said:
There are other values of $t$ which make $\sin(t)=0$. As you go around the unit circle, what is the next one?

That would be at pi or 180 degrees.

Rido12 said:
That would be at pi or 180 degrees.

Correct! :D

And what is $y(\pi)$?

Rido12 said:
Question 1)

Got stuck here:

How does sin 2t = cos t?

\(\displaystyle \sin(2t)=2\sin(t)\cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

Now, from the other equation, we know \(\displaystyle 2\sin(t)=1\), so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

MarkFL said:
Correct! :D

And what is $y(\pi)$?

$y(\pi)$ = pi cos pi = -1 pi

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle \sin(2t)=2\sin(t)\cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

Now, from the other equation, we know \(\displaystyle 2\sin(t)=1\), so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \cos(t)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

Very neat, you used the first equation to aid with the second. Is it always like this, (that we use the first equation to aid with the second)?

Last edited:
MarkFL said:

What do you find?

Back to question number 1!

Now that we determine t = pi/6, we can plug it back into the slope of the tangent line

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos(t)}{2\cos(2t)} = \frac{\cos(pi/6)}{2\cos(pi /3 )} \)

Now that simplifies to root 3 / 2

Final Step:

Y2 - y1 = m (X2 - X1)
y2 - 1 = root 3 / 2 * (x2 - root 3)
y = (root 3 / 2) x - (1/2)

Rido12 said:
$y(\pi)$ = pi cos pi = -1 pi

Finishing this question:

Plug this into the slope of the tangent line:

(cos pi - sin pi) / (sin pi + cos pi) = -1 / -1 = 1?

- - - Updated - - -
Very neat, you used the first equation to aid with the second. Is it always like this, (that we use the first equation to aid with the second)?
You need to find the value of $t$ that satisfies both equations with regards to the given point. For example, using the first equation:

\(\displaystyle t\sin(t)=0\)

We know then by the zero-factor property that:

\(\displaystyle t=k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

Now, using this value for $t$ in the second equation, we find:

\(\displaystyle k\pi\cos(k\pi)=-\pi\)

\(\displaystyle k\cos(k\pi)=-1\)

We now see that \(\displaystyle k=1\) is the only viable value of $k$.

As far as always being able to use one equation to aid in solving the other, I can't say this is the case, but we can use whatever we find in one to help with the other when possible because they are in essence simultaneous equations.

I get it now! I guess we can use whatever tactic we want, as long as it satisfies both equations.\(\displaystyle t=k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

What does Z refer to?

Where can I read more about the zero factor thing?

Also, I've edited the first post of this page with the correct answer :)

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Back to question number 1!

Now that we determine t = pi/6, we can plug it back into the slope of the tangent line

\(\displaystyle \frac{\cos(t)}{2\cos(2t)} = \frac{\cos(pi/6)}{2\cos(pi /3 )} \)

Now that simplifies to root 3 / 2

Final Step:

Y2 - y1 = m (X2 - X1)
y2 - 1 = root 3 / 2 * (x2 - root 3)
y = (root 3 / 2) x - (1/2)

Yes, that looks correct.

I would refrain from mixing uppercase and lower case variables. I would state:

We have the slope: \(\displaystyle m=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

and the point: \(\displaystyle (\sqrt{3},1)\)

hence application of the point-slope formula gives us the tangent line:

\(\displaystyle y-1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\left(x-\sqrt{3} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x-\frac{3}{2}\)

Arranging this in slope-intercept form, we have:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x-\frac{1}{2}\)

Rido12 said:
I get it now! I guess we can use whatever tactic we want, as long as it satisfies both equations.\(\displaystyle t=k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

What does Z refer to?

Where can I read more about the zero factor thing?
\(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\) just means that $k$ is an arbitrary integer.

The zero-factor property just means that if your have:

\(\displaystyle ab=0\)

then you know the equation is true when either $a=0$ or $b=0$, you are probably familiar with it when solving a quadratic by factoring, where you equate each factor in turn to zero to find the roots.

Answer to question 1.Plug this into the slope of the tangent line:(cos pi - sin pi) / (sin pi + cos pi) = -1 / -1 = 1

putting it in point-slope formula gives us y = x - pi

y2 - y1 = m (x2 - x1
y + pi = m (x)
y = x - pi

Answer in the back of the textbook : y = (1/pi) x - pi

Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Rido12 said:
Answer to question 1.Plug this into the slope of the tangent line:(cos pi - sin pi) / (sin pi + cos pi) = -1 / -1 = 1

putting it in point-slope formula gives us y = x - pi

Answer in the back of the textbook : y = (1/pi) x - pi

Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Yes, check your differentiation again, recalling you need to apply the product rule.

Whoops, did it right on paper, but when I tried to type it on here, I mistakened "sint (t)" to be sin (t). Thanks a lot! You were of great help!

FAQ: Understanding Parametric equations

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of quantities as functions of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. They are often used to describe the motion of objects in space.

What is the purpose of using parametric equations?

The purpose of using parametric equations is to describe the relationship between variables in a more efficient and concise way. They also allow for the representation of complex curves and shapes that may not be easily described by traditional equations.

How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by substituting different values for the parameters and connecting them with a smooth curve. Another method is to use a graphing calculator or computer software that allows you to input the equations and plot the graph automatically.

What are some common applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze motion, curves, and surfaces. They are also used in statistics to model relationships between variables.

What is the difference between parametric equations and rectangular equations?

The main difference between parametric equations and rectangular equations is that parametric equations use parameters as independent variables, while rectangular equations use traditional variables such as x and y. Parametric equations also allow for the representation of more complex curves and surfaces, while rectangular equations are limited to straight lines and simple curves.