Understanding Phasors: Time & Frequency Domains

In summary: So, that's basically what a phasor is- it's a representation of a wave on a single axis, where the amplitude changes as you rotate around the circle.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
what's a phasor? What's the phasor domain?

I've worked with them in my courses and I can move from the time domain to the phasor domain, but I still don't quite intuitively get what a phasor is.

In physics, we move between the frequency domain and time domain easily, but they're both variables within the same equation that we're looking at across domains. I understand the concept of the frequency domain...

A phasor, on the other hand is not a variable that I can see... its obviously not the phase...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Phasors are a handy way to work with problems that only involve a single frequency. Then you only need amplitude and phase information, not frequency information (hence the name phasor). The wikipedia article is reasonably good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor_(sine_waves )

Last edited by a moderator:
A phasor is a tool to relate the amplitude of a wave to the phase of a wave. For example, if you remove the time dependence from a sin wave and just look at the spatial dependence, and you write it in phasor form, you can say I(r) = A*exp{-jkr} where A is the wave's amplitude, r, the direction of propagation, k the propagation constant. Now, if you map this in polar form (the phase, phi, is simply k*r), you'll get a circle, where you can say the y-axis represent imaginary space, and the x-axis real space. You can then see as you trace around the circle, and look at the projection onto the real axis (x-axis), the amplitude grows and shrinks as you go around the circle. In fact, if you were to plot this changing in amplitude vs. space, you'd just get a sin wave.

But, why bother using phasors at all? Why not just use sin waves the entire time? When you start dealing with more advanced interactions between waves, the math becomes hard with sin waves. For example, you can easily take derivatives and integrals of exponential functions, while as you start to multiply and integrate sin functions, it can be very messy. So, one method is to stick with the phasor to make the math much easier, then if you take the real part of the result (poject the answer onto the x-axis ... aka the real axis), you get the correct physical (observable) result.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Phasors: Time & Frequency Domains

1. What are phasors and how are they used in the time and frequency domains?

Phasors are mathematical tools used to represent sinusoidal signals in the time and frequency domains. They are often used in electrical engineering and physics to analyze and manipulate signals, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

2. How do phasors differ from regular sinusoidal signals?

Phasors differ from regular sinusoidal signals in that they not only include the magnitude and frequency information, but also the phase information of the signal. This allows for a more complete representation of the signal in both the time and frequency domains.

3. What is the relationship between phasors in the time and frequency domains?

In the time domain, phasors are represented as vectors with a magnitude and angle, while in the frequency domain, they are represented as complex numbers with a real and imaginary component. The relationship between the two is described by Euler's formula, which states that the complex number representation of a phasor is equal to the cosine of the angle multiplied by the imaginary unit.

4. How are phasors used to analyze circuits?

Phasors are used to analyze circuits by converting the circuit elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, into their phasor equivalents. This allows for the use of simple algebraic equations to solve for the voltage, current, and power in the circuit, rather than solving complicated differential equations.

5. What are the advantages of using phasors in circuit analysis?

The use of phasors in circuit analysis allows for simpler and more efficient calculations, as well as a better understanding of how the circuit behaves in both the time and frequency domains. It also allows for the analysis of circuits with multiple sinusoidal sources, which would be difficult to solve using traditional methods.