Understanding Planetary Motion: Correcting a Common Misconception

In summary, The conversation is about a formula involving periods (T) and radii (R) of planets. The formula is (T_A/T_G)^2=(R_A/R_B)^3, but the person is unsure about the value of T_G, which represents Kepler's constant. The correct formula is (T_A/T_B)^2=(R_A/R_B)^3, which comes from Kepler's third law. This law states that if two planets have the same mass, their periods and radii will follow a specific relationship, represented by the formula T^2 \propto R^3.
mormreed
I just need an explanation of a formula, and I think part of it is wrong, so here is the formula:

[tex](T_A/T_G)^2=(R_A/R_B)^3[/tex]

so T is the period and [tex]T_A[/tex] is the period of planet A
then below it is what I think is wrong, [tex]T_G[/tex] G is the Kepler's constant, I'm not sure what that really is
=
[text]R_A[/tex] which is radius of planet A over radius of planet B cubed, this side is right, any help is appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I comes from Kepler's third law which states that

[tex]T^2 \propto R^3[/tex]

So if two planets have the same mass, in your case planet A and G.

then [itex]T_A^2= k R_A^3[/itex] and [itex]T_G^2= kR_G^3[/itex]

so just divide them and you'll get the formula

I think I found the answer after some searching, which I did try before which brought me here, but I think it is [tex](T_A/T_B)^2=(R_A/R_B)^3[/tex]

Related to Understanding Planetary Motion: Correcting a Common Misconception

1. What is the Planetary Motion Formula?

The Planetary Motion Formula, also known as Kepler's Third Law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the orbital period (P) of a planet and its distance (a) from the sun. It is represented as: P2 = a3, where P is measured in Earth years and a is measured in astronomical units (AU).

2. Who discovered the Planetary Motion Formula?

The Planetary Motion Formula was discovered by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. He developed this law based on the observations and calculations of his predecessor, Tycho Brahe, and it was later confirmed by Isaac Newton's theory of gravity.

3. How is the Planetary Motion Formula used?

The Planetary Motion Formula is used to calculate the orbital period or distance of a planet from the sun. By plugging in the known values for P or a, scientists can solve for the unknown value. This formula has been crucial in understanding the motion of planets and predicting their positions in the solar system.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Planetary Motion Formula?

The Planetary Motion Formula is a simplified representation of the motion of planets in our solar system. It does not take into account the gravitational influence of other planets or the effects of relativity. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the orbital periods of planets in highly eccentric orbits or in systems with multiple planets.

5. Can the Planetary Motion Formula be applied to other celestial bodies?

Yes, the Planetary Motion Formula can be applied to other celestial bodies, such as moons orbiting planets. However, since these bodies have different masses and distances from their parent planet, the formula would need to be adjusted accordingly. It may also not be applicable to objects outside of our solar system, as their orbital paths may be influenced by different factors.