Understanding Polarity and Standard Labeling in KCL and KVL Exercises

• Thread starter thuc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding KCL and KVL exercises. There are questions about defining polarities of resistors and when to use standard labeling. The expert advises to pick currents at the beginning of the problem and stick with them and explains that the voltage drop in a resistor always goes from + to -. The person also asks about how to determine which power source generates the current in a problem with two power sources. The expert reminds to be consistent with labeling and defines the polarity at the beginning. They also compare it to problems involving motion, where the answer's sign only makes sense when taken together with the definitions made at the outset.
thuc
Hi guys,
I'm having some troubles while doing KCL and KVL exercies. I have two question:
1. Do I have to define the polarities of resistors and how to do that ?
2. When do i need to use the STANDARD LABELING ?
For example in this exercie
1.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The way I do it is, when writing, for instance, a loop equation, moving from - to + results in a positive term, and moving from + to - results in a negative term. Pick your currents at the beginning of the problem and stick with them. The voltage drop in a resistor due to a current always goes from + to -. It just takes some practice to get used to it.

oh thanks, but I have another question: when i have 2 power sources which power source will generate the current ?
for example in this exercie
3.png

thuc said:
oh thanks, but I have another question: when i have 2 power sources which power source will generate the current ?
for example in this exercie View attachment 96046
They both can contribute. Can you show us the KCL equation that you get by writing that the sum of all currents leaving the center node is equal to zero?

axmls said:
Pick your currents at the beginning of the problem and stick with them.
Yes. Annotate the diagram with I1, I2,I3 etc (with arrows) and give all the nodes numbers. It's essential to be totally consistent throughout. The 'polarity' can be any way you want because the answer will yield the correct sign, whichever.

There is a similarity with problems involving motion. The sign of the answer only makes sense when taken together with the definitions you make at the outset (eg "I define UP as positive"). If you don't make those definitions before writing KCL/KVL equations you will come unstuck.

Likes sophiecentaur

FAQ: Understanding Polarity and Standard Labeling in KCL and KVL Exercises

1. What are some basic principles of science?

Some basic principles of science include the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. Other principles include the laws of nature, such as the laws of gravity and thermodynamics, and the concept of cause and effect.

2. How do scientists conduct experiments?

Scientists conduct experiments by following the scientific method. They start by making observations and forming a hypothesis, which is a tentative explanation for the observed phenomenon. Then, they design and carry out experiments to test their hypothesis and collect data. Finally, they analyze the data to draw conclusions and make new discoveries.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a tentative explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-tested and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon. A hypothesis is based on limited evidence and can be proven or disproven through experimentation, while a theory is supported by a large body of evidence and has stood the test of time.

4. How does science impact our daily lives?

Science impacts our daily lives in countless ways. It allows us to understand the world around us and make informed decisions about our health, environment, and technology. Science also drives innovation and helps improve our quality of life through advancements in medicine, transportation, communication, and more.

5. What are some common misconceptions about science?

Some common misconceptions about science include the belief that it can prove or disprove anything, that it is always objective and unbiased, and that it has all the answers. In reality, science is a continuous process of discovery and refinement, and it is subject to human biases and limitations. It also deals with uncertainty and does not claim to have all the answers to every question.

Back