Understanding Positive Feedback in MATLAB

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with an open loop and a feedback path, and the process of creating a positive feedback closed loop system. The resulting equations are shown, and there is a discrepancy between manually entering the equation and using the feedback function in MATLAB. The issue is resolved by realizing that the equations are equivalent.
nand_1
Hi All,

Suppose I have the following system:

A = 1 / (S + 1) (open loop)

B = S / (2S + 1) (feedback path)

I know that the positive feedback closed loop system will thus be: A / (1 - AB), and entering this manually in MATLAB (as well as doing it by hand), I get:

2 s^2 + 3 s + 1
-----------------------
2 s^3 + 4 s^2 + 3 s + 1

However, when I use the following command:

sys = feedback(A,B,+1)

I get the following:

2 s + 1
---------------
2 s^2 + 2 s + 1

Is there something I'm missing?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{2s^2+3s+1}{2s^3+4s^2+3s+1} = \frac{(2s+1)(s+1)}{(2s^2+2s+1)(s+1)} = \frac{2s+1}{2s^2+2s+1} [/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks Kreil, realized this later on after the post. Thought it was an issue with the way i was using the feedback function.

FAQ: Understanding Positive Feedback in MATLAB

1. What is positive feedback in Matlab?

Positive feedback in Matlab is a process in which the output of a system is fed back into the input, resulting in an amplification of the original signal. This can lead to exponential growth or instability in the system.

2. How is positive feedback implemented in Matlab?

Positive feedback can be implemented in Matlab using the "feedback" command, which allows the user to specify the system transfer function and the feedback transfer function. This will generate a new transfer function that represents the overall system with positive feedback.

3. What are the advantages of using positive feedback in Matlab?

Positive feedback can be useful in certain applications, such as in control systems, where it can amplify signals and improve system performance. It can also be used in simulation and modeling to study the effects of positive feedback on a system.

4. What are the limitations of positive feedback in Matlab?

One limitation of positive feedback in Matlab is the potential for instability or oscillation in the system. This can be mitigated by carefully designing the feedback loop and ensuring that the gain is not too high. Additionally, positive feedback may not always be appropriate for certain systems and may need to be combined with other control techniques.

5. Are there any best practices for using positive feedback in Matlab?

Yes, there are some best practices to keep in mind when using positive feedback in Matlab. It is important to carefully design the feedback loop and choose appropriate gain values to avoid instability. It can also be helpful to simulate the system and analyze the results before implementing positive feedback in a real-world application.