Understanding Power Formulas; When to use Them

In summary: V"? Why not use "6 V"?I don't know, it just seems like 6 would be a good number to use.Why did you use "6" for volts?I don't know, it just seems like 6 would be a good number to use.
Gajan1234
There are three Formulas for Power, ( P=IV, P=I^2R, P=V^2/R). Can someone tell me when to use the right forumlas?

Physics news on Phys.org
How has your textbook explained it?

Likes Gajan1234
ProfuselyQuarky said:
How has your textbook explained it?
It is quite confusing in the book as they have used different formula for different question. But I know that P=I^2R is used to find the heat

What are your thoughts? What is different about the three equations and when might those differences be important?

Gajan1234 said:
It is quite confusing in the book as they have used different formula for different question. But I know that P=I^2R is used to find the heat
Okay, well, do you know what each variable stands for?

Dale said:
What are your thoughts? What is different about the three equations and when might those differences be important?

I think that P=IV is mainly used to find the power of the whole circuit whereas P=I^2R is used to find how much energy is given out by the component per second.
But not sure if I am right.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Okay, well, do you know what each variable stands for?
I for current
R resistance

I understand the fact that it is simple substitution and the formulas are literally same. But when it come to practice questions it is used differently in different context

Gajan1234 said:
I think that P=IV is mainly used to find the power of the whole circuit whereas P=I^2R is used to find how much energy is given out by the component per second.
But not sure if I am right.
OK, that is a good start.

What is different about P=I^2 R that makes it better for individual components than P=IV? Or what do components have that might lead you to use P=I^2R.

Dale said:
OK, that is a good start.

What is different about P=I^2 R that makes it better for individual components than P=IV?

Well we are looking at difficulty of current going through due to resistivity.

Gajan1234 said:
Well we are looking at difficulty of current going through due to resistivity.
Right. So would it be possible to use P=I^2 R if you don't know the resistance?

Gajan1234 said:
But when it come to practice questions it is used differently in different context
Not really :smile: It just depends on what you're looking for--and the only way to know what you're looking for would be to know what each part means. Perhaps this picture will help: click here

Likes Gajan1234
Dale said:
Right. So would it be possible to use P=I^2 R if you don't know the resistance?

Well it is possible if you know the voltage

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Gajan1234 said:
That's correct! See, you can use different equations (in this case, Ohm's Law) to find the missing parts you need. So where's the trouble?

Likes Gajan1234
Gajan1234 said:
Yes, exactly. There are only two formulas here: P=IV and V=IR. You have two equations in four variables. You can always substitute one equation into the other to eliminate anyone variable.

That is all those equations do. You are then left with one equation in three variables. Use the one that fits.

If you look ag question 3c you can not use all the formulas. Only one will give you the right answer.
1458172754881.jpg
Dale said:
Yes, exactly. There are only two formulas here: P=IV and V=IR. You have two equations in four variables. You can always substitute one equation into the other to eliminate anyone variable.

That is all those ewuayions do. You are then left with one equation in three variables. Use the one that fits.

Dale said:

That is all those ewuayions do. You are then left with one equation in three variables. Use the one that fits.

Gajan1234 said:
If you look ag question 3c you can not use all the formulas. Only one will give you the right answer.
What are the knowns and what are the unknowns? Which formula fits?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Dale said:
What are the knowns and what are the unknowns?
And based on that, which formula for power matches what you know?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
And based on that, which formula for power matches what you know?
P=v`2/r

Gajan1234 said:
P=v`2/r
This gives me the wrong answer

Gajan1234 said:
This gives me the wrong answer
What numbers did you use?

Dale said:
What are the knowns and what are the unknowns? Which formula fits?
Well I can use the P=v^2/R formula but it gives me the wrong answer

ProfuselyQuarky said:
What numbers did you use?
P=6^2/9

Gajan1234 said:
P=6^2/9
Why did you use "6" for volts? The picture's not that clear, but doesn't it read "3"?

Likes Gajan1234
My suggestion is to use P = IV. Even though you get the same results this equation is more general. For instance for an inductor you can still use P=IV but not the other ones.

Likes Dale
Gajan1234 said:
There are three Formulas for Power, ( P=IV, P=I^2R, P=V^2/R). Can someone tell me when to use the right forumlas?
When? Always, always use the right formulas! :-p

In addition to what others have said about the variables provided in the problem, it also matters what the problem is asking you to calculate the power of. If it asks you for the power used by a light bulb, it may be different than if they asked you to find the power loss by the wires going to the light bulb.

Likes Gajan1234

FAQ: Understanding Power Formulas; When to use Them

1. What are power formulas used for?

Power formulas are used to calculate the amount of power or energy used or produced in a given system. They can also be used to determine the efficiency of a system.

2. When should power formulas be used?

Power formulas should be used when there is a need to quantify the amount of power or energy in a system, or when comparing the efficiency of different systems.

3. What are some common power formulas?

Some common power formulas include P = VI (power equals voltage multiplied by current), P = I2R (power equals current squared multiplied by resistance), and P = V2/R (power equals voltage squared divided by resistance).

4. How do I know which power formula to use?

The power formula to use depends on the specific situation and the variables that are known. For example, if you know the voltage and current, you can use the formula P = VI. It is important to understand the relationship between the variables in order to use the correct formula.

5. Can power formulas be applied to any system?

Yes, power formulas can be applied to any system as long as the variables and units are consistent. However, some systems may have more complex power formulas that take into account additional variables.