Understanding Probability: Examining the Logic Behind Counting Events

In summary, the solution given in the high school textbook for the probability of drawing three aces, three kings, or a combination of three aces and three kings from a set of 52 cards is incorrect. The correct solution should be (4 3)(48 5) + (4 3)(48 5) - (4 3)(4 2)(44 1), as the third event is already covered in the first two. Additionally, for the probability of drawing at least one ace from a set of three cards, the correct solution is (4 1)(48 2) + (4 2)(48 1) + (4 3), as counting the combinations separately would lead to over
Ryker
I.

Homework Statement

You have a set of 52 cards, out of which you randomly draw 8. What's the probability of an event that either a) three aces will be drawn or b) three kings will be drawn or c) three aces and three kings will be drawn.

Homework Equations

The usual probability mumbo jumbo.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is from a high school textbook and the solution says the said events are going to happen in (4 3)(48 5) + (4 3)(48 5) + (4 3)(4 3)(44 2). I get the first two, but I don't get why there is a plus in front of the third. Shouldn't there be a minus? I mean, the event c) is already covered in both the events a) and b), so if anything you should subtract that event so that it isn't counted twice. If my thinking isn't correct, what am I missing?

II.

Homework Statement

Out of the same set of 52, you draw 3 cards. What is the probability that at least one of those will be an ace?

Homework Equations

Same as above.

Again, the solution (which I agree with this time) says that event will happen in (4 1)(48 2) + (4 2)(48 1) + (4 3) cases, which is logical. You figure out how many times you'll get on ace, how many times two aces and how many times three aces.

Where I'm lost here, however, is why can't you simply do (4 1)(51 2)? You secure one of those four aces with the first binomial, and then for the remaining two cards you can draw whichever out of the 51 that are left. But this leads to more events than described above and I just can't rationalize which additional events you get here that you shouldn't get.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryker said:
I.

Homework Statement

You have a set of 52 cards, out of which you randomly draw 8. What's the probability of an event that either a) three aces will be drawn or b) three kings will be drawn or c) three aces and three kings will be drawn.

Homework Equations

The usual probability mumbo jumbo.

This is from a high school textbook and the solution says the said events are going to happen in (4 3)(48 5) + (4 3)(48 5) + (4 3)(4 3)(44 2). I get the first two, but I don't get why there is a plus in front of the third. Shouldn't there be a minus? I mean, the event c) is already covered in both the events a) and b), so if anything you should subtract that event so that it isn't counted twice. If my thinking isn't correct, what am I missing?
Your reasoning is correct. The solution given is wrong.
II.

Homework Statement

Out of the same set of 52, you draw 3 cards. What is the probability that at least one of those will be an ace?

Homework Equations

Same as above.

Again, the solution (which I agree with this time) says that event will happen in (4 1)(48 2) + (4 2)(48 1) + (4 3) cases, which is logical. You figure out how many times you'll get on ace, how many times two aces and how many times three aces.

Where I'm lost here, however, is why can't you simply do (4 1)(51 2)? You secure one of those four aces with the first binomial, and then for the remaining two cards you can draw whichever out of the 51 that are left. But this leads to more events than described above and I just can't rationalize which additional events you get here that you shouldn't get.

Thanks in advance!
You end up double- and triple-counting if you do it the second way. Let's label the aces A, B, C, and D, and I'll just represent non-aces as X. The second calculation counts, for example, (A, BX) and (B, AX) separately, where the first element of the ordered pair denotes one of the (4 1) possibilities and the second element is one of the (51 2) possibilities, whereas the first calculation would count the combination of A, B, and X only once. Similarly, the second calculation counts (A, BC), (B, AC), and (C, AB) separately though they're all the same combination. So you end up over-counting by (4 2)(48 1) + 2x(4 3) = 288+2x4 = 296.

vela said:
Your reasoning is correct. The solution given is wrong.
That's great to hear! Although it irks me to death when these things - solutions being wrong - happen, especially when you're not too sure of yourself (yet) and try to figure out for hours where you could've gone wrong.

vela said:
You end up double- and triple-counting if you do it the second way. Let's label the aces A, B, C, and D, and I'll just represent non-aces as X. The second calculation counts, for example, (A, BX) and (B, AX) separately, where the first element of the ordered pair denotes one of the (4 1) possibilities and the second element is one of the (51 2) possibilities, whereas the first calculation would count the combination of A, B, and X only once. Similarly, the second calculation counts (A, BC), (B, AC), and (C, AB) separately though they're all the same combination. So you end up over-counting by (4 2)(48 1) + 2x(4 3) = 288+2x4 = 296.
Ah, makes sense, now I'm kind of mad I missed that :) I again had to take a couple of moments to grasp why it's over-counting by the exact numbers you gave, but I think I get it now. Is there a way other than imagining the two examples that you gave above (for a drawing of two and three aces respectively) to get the (4 2)(48 1) + 2 x (4 3) equation, though? Or do you, in such cases, always need to logically derive how many multiplications of a single solution there are?

I suppose there might be some identity involving the binomial coefficients that'll give you this result, but I'm not aware of it.

Also for the "at least one ace" problem, you can calculate the probability that you will draw non-aces on every card and then subtract from one: 1 - (48/52)(47/51)(46/50).

This is of course equal to ((4 1)(48 2) + (4 2)(48 1) + (4 3))/(52 3).

Yeah, you're right, but I guess I had foregone that route as I wanted to understand that other one I was asking about. I know in the end you just have to get the result you want taking the easiest path you know of, but I didn't want to pretend I don't have a problem in understanding some of the material and cop out by going with what I can do :) Thanks for the tip, nonetheless!

Related to Understanding Probability: Examining the Logic Behind Counting Events

1. What is the difference between independent and dependent probability?

Independent probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring without being influenced by any other events. Dependent probability, on the other hand, takes into account the influence of other events on the likelihood of the desired outcome.

2. How do you calculate the probability of two independent events occurring together?

To calculate the probability of two independent events occurring together, you can simply multiply their individual probabilities. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5 and the probability of event B is 0.3, then the probability of both events occurring together is 0.5 x 0.3 = 0.15.

3. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Conditional probability takes into account additional information or conditions that may affect the likelihood of an event occurring. Unconditional probability, also known as marginal probability, does not consider any additional information and is solely based on the given probabilities of the events.

4. How do you calculate the probability of two dependent events occurring together?

To calculate the probability of two dependent events occurring together, you can use the formula P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B|A), where P(A) is the probability of event A occurring and P(B|A) is the probability of event B occurring given that event A has already occurred.

5. Can the total probability of all possible outcomes be greater than 1?

No, the total probability of all possible outcomes cannot be greater than 1. This is because the sum of all probabilities must equal 1, as there can only be one outcome that will occur in a given event.