Understanding Proof by Contradiction in Logic and Mathematics

In summary, a proof by contradiction shows that something is false, so anything which implies it must itself be false.
Poirot1
Is this how proof by condraction works?
Say we want to prove A-> B.
We prove by showing the statement 'A and not B' implies some statement C which is false (since it contradicts a known fact). Therefore, anything which implies C must itself be false, so 'A and not B' is false. I.e. A implies B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
Note that this is a special case of a proof by contradiction.
Not all proofs by contradiction will fit the pattern you suggest.

More generally, suppose we want to prove A, then assume A to be false, and show that this leads to a contradiction.

I agree. Here is what I posted on the other forum concerning proofs by contradiction and contrapositive.

Proofs by contrapositive and by contradiction are closely related. To remind, a contrapositive of P -> Q is ~Q -> ~P. A statement and its contrapositive are equivalent, so instead of one it is possible to prove the other. In a proof by contradiction, instead of proving Q one shows ~Q -> F where F is falsehood; then Q follows.

Formally, proving P -> Q in this way involves both proof by contrapositive and proof by contradiction. Namely, one assumes P and then proves Q by contradiction. For this, one assumes ~Q and from here derives ~P (this is the contrapositive of P -> Q). Combining ~P with the first assumption P gives falsehood, so Q follows.

In practice, the names "proof by contrapositive" and "proof by contradiction" are often used interchangeably.

the difference between the two i see is this:

proof by contrapositive uses:

~A v B = B v ~A = ~(~B) v ~A (switching the "order" of A and B).

proof by contradiction uses:

~A v B = ~(~(~A v B)) = ~(A & ~B) (changing the "or-ness" of implication, to "and-ness").

this is most evident in "the flow" of the proofs: proofs by contrapositive seem "backwards" (we start where we don't want to be, and end where we aren't, so it's good), whereas proofs by contradiction go "the right way" from the wrong starting place.

for example, if i wish to show that every multiple of 4 is even by proving the contrapositive, i show that no odd number is divisible by 4.

if i wish to prove that every multiple of 4 is even by contradiction, i assume there is some 4k that is odd, and derive the contradiction that 1 is even. there is often some "blurring" of these distinctions, and a formal codification of either proof may wind up looking much the same (as it should!).

loosely speaking it's the (subtle) difference between:

for all...(somethings, some statement is true)

there does not exist...(a counter-example)

and when I'm really confused, i often forget which one I'm in the middle of. :(

Yes, this is a correct explanation of how proof by contradiction works. In logic and mathematics, proof by contradiction is used to prove a statement by assuming the opposite (or negation) of the statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction. This allows us to conclude that the original statement must be true. It is a powerful tool in proving the validity of mathematical and logical arguments.

Related to Understanding Proof by Contradiction in Logic and Mathematics

1. What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method used in logic and mathematics to prove the truth of a statement by assuming its opposite and showing that this leads to a contradiction or inconsistency. This proves that the original statement must be true.

2. How is proof by contradiction different from other proof methods?

Proof by contradiction is different from other proof methods in that it starts with the assumption that the statement is false, rather than trying to prove it directly. It relies on the law of non-contradiction, which states that a statement cannot be both true and false at the same time.

3. What are the steps involved in a proof by contradiction?

The steps involved in a proof by contradiction are as follows: 1) Assume the opposite of the statement is true. 2) Use logical deductions and mathematical principles to arrive at a contradiction or inconsistency. 3) Conclude that the original statement must be true.

4. When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is used when a direct proof is not possible or when it is more efficient to prove the statement indirectly. It is also commonly used in proving theorems in mathematics and in proving the validity of arguments in logic.

5. Are there any limitations to proof by contradiction?

While proof by contradiction is a powerful and widely used method, it does have some limitations. In some cases, the contradiction may not be immediately obvious or may require advanced mathematical knowledge to identify. Additionally, proof by contradiction can only be used to prove the truth of a statement, not its validity or soundness.