Understanding Proof: Clarifying the Relationship Between K and H

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof and a point of confusion regarding the intersection of subgroups. The missing word "proper" is implied and the problem can be solved using the Fundamental Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups. However, the given proof is short and straightforward.
Mr Davis 97
https://imgur.com/a/jThCPLA

I'm trying to understand the proof here, and there is just one point that I get tripped up on. In the last paragraph, I'm not seeing exactly why ##K\cap H < H## based upon our choice of ##y##. Could someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
https://imgur.com/a/jThCPLA

I'm trying to understand the proof here, and there is just one point that I get tripped up on. In the last paragraph, I'm not seeing exactly why ##K\cap H < H## based upon our choice of ##y##. Could someone explain?
The implicite (and missing) word is "proper". ##H\cap K## is always a subgroup of either. The fact that ##y \notin H## makes it a proper inclusion. ##K\cap H \lneq H## would have been the better sign.

fresh_42 said:
The implicite (and missing) word is "proper". ##H\cap K## is always a subgroup of either. The fact that ##y \notin H## makes it a proper inclusion. ##K\cap H \lneq H## would have been the better sign.
Oh, I think I got it now. One more question. Could this problem also be solved with the Fundamental Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups?

Help me, what theorem do you mean? The proof you have is quite short and straightforward, I don't know a better one.

Related to Understanding Proof: Clarifying the Relationship Between K and H

What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement, equation, or theorem. It is used to show that a claim is true and can be relied upon.

What is the purpose of a proof?

The purpose of a proof is to provide a clear and rigorous justification for a claim or statement. It helps to establish the validity and correctness of a mathematical or scientific concept.

What are the key components of a proof?

A typical proof consists of three main components: assumptions, logical reasoning, and a conclusion. The assumptions are the starting points of the proof, the logical reasoning connects these assumptions to the conclusion, and the conclusion is the final statement that is proven to be true.

Why is understanding a proof important?

Understanding a proof is important because it allows us to critically evaluate and verify the validity of an argument or claim. It also helps to deepen our understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts and enables us to apply them in new situations.

What are some strategies for understanding a proof?

One strategy for understanding a proof is to break it down into smaller steps and carefully follow the logical reasoning. Another strategy is to try to find connections and similarities between the proof and other previously understood concepts. It can also be helpful to discuss the proof with others or seek clarification from the author or instructor.