Understanding Quadratic Functions and Rational Functions with Asymptotes

• Thread starter girlsridemx2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary: Yes, that is correct. When multiplying powers with the same base, you can simply add the exponents. In this case, the base is (x^2+9), so when multiplying it by itself 3 times, you would add the exponents, resulting in (x^2+9)^3. And for (x-1)^2, you would multiply it by itself, resulting in (x-1)^2. Then, when you multiply these two expressions together, you would use the same rule of adding the exponents, resulting in (x^2+9)^3(x-1)^2. Therefore, the degree of the entire polynomial is 3+2 = 5 and the leading coefficient is
girlsridemx2
i have a few questions that i just can't seem to understand, if you could PLEASE help me i'd appreciate it!
Consider the quadratic function f(x)=2x^2+4x-3
what is the domain and range of f(x)?

and
Find ALL asymptotes of the function f(x)=x^2-x-12

and lastly Find the x- and y- intercepts of f(x)= x^2-x-12

They might be SUPER easy to you guys but I am just not understanding. Thanks for the time that you've looked over this.
email me at girlsridemx2@yahoo.com

and if at all possible write the equation of a rational function that has vertical asymptotes at x=2 and x=3 and a horizontal asymptote at y=-2

yeah so I am really lost

Physics news on Phys.org
1 - what makes a function discontinuous? is a quadratic equation continuous throughout? think division by 0.

2 - if your numerator contains the highest power, what happens? what if your denominator contains the highest power? 1/x^n = 0

3 - set it equal to 0 then factor.

Last edited:
Thanks! How do i find the intervals off(x)=2x^2+4x-3 increasing intervals and the decreasing f(x) intervals?

one more...
Let f(x)=a(x-h)^2+k be a quadratic function such that a>0 qne k<0. How many x- intercepts does f(x) have? I am totally lost.

If i could find out how to find the x intercept it would be great

Find the x intercepts of the quadratic function f(x)=2(x-3)^2-4

Thank you times 1 million for all the help your a math genius!

so what are the asymptotes of that last problem?

Last edited:
girlsridemx2 said:
Thanks! How do i find the intervals off(x)=2x^2+4x-3 increasing intervals and the decreasing f(x) intervals?
Find the turning points, then classify whether they are maxima or minima.
one more...
Let f(x)=a(x-h)^2+k be a quadratic function such that a>0 qne k<0. How many x- intercepts does f(x) have? I am totally lost.
Well, an x-intercept means the graph crosses the x axis, i.e. it crosses the line y=0. So, if you set the function to zero then you should be able to find the answer.

If i could find out how to find the x intercept it would be great

Find the x intercepts of the quadratic function f(x)=2(x-3)^2-4Thank you times 1 million for all the help your a math genius!
Use a similar method for this question.

As an aside, please note that with homework questions, you must show your work before we can help you, and full solutions to homework type questions should never be given. See the PF guidelines here

To find X intercepts, you set the problem equal to 0 and solve.

what does a horizontal tangent tell you? and how can you use that information to find the maxima or minima?

asymptotes: horizontal, how can you use the powers of your exponents to determine the horizontal asymptote; vertical, how do you even get a vertical asymptote?

Last edited:
okay,,,,to find the degree of
g(x)=x(x^2=9)^3(x-1)^2
the leading coefficient is 9 right and the degree i though would be 3 but the girl at the math lab says that i should times the 2 and 3 to get 6 as the degree. Am i right or is the girl at the math lab right?
thanks,

ok now I'm confused as to what the problem is, and what the question is. start over!

equation:

question:

Okay, i have to state the degree abnd the leading coefficient of
g(x)= x(x^2+9)^3(x-1)^2.

I was thinking the leading coefficient was 9
and the degree is 3, but the lady at the math lab yesterday told me i have to times the 2 and the 3 together because its in the same group...so what would the answer be for the degree of that entire problem...3 or 6?

and if at all possible write the equation of a rational function that has vertical asymptotes at x = 2 and x = 3 and a horizontal asymptote at y = -2
how does a vertical asymptote arise? when the denominator is 0 correct? so how can you write 2 and -3 in the denominator in terms of an equation to where it will equal 2 and -3. now for your numerator, what is the simplest way in Calculus to determine the horizontal asymptote? it's simply by the power of the degrees, so how can you set up your equation to where you can get y = -2.

Last edited:
Well, you should firstly recall the definitions of the two terms: the degree of the polynomial is the highest power of x that it contains. The leading coefficient is the coefficient of this term.

So, the largest power of x of the polynomial will be obtained by multiplying the largest terms in the brackets together. What is the largest power in (x^2+9)^3? What is the largest power in (x-1)^2?

I don't know why you're throwing in loads of different questions though!

the lady at the math lab yesterday told me i have to times the 2 and the 3 together because its in the same group
so she is saying that you can simply add the exponents bc the bases are the same? i fail to see how the bases are the same for this equation.

g(x)= x(x^2+9)^3(x-1)^2

going back to our exponent rules or whatever it's called:

a^2 x a^3 = a^2+3

(x^2+9)^3 x (x-1)^2 = ?

ok nvm i read your reply wrong. she says you can multiply the power 2 from x^2+9 by it's power 3?

anyways, read what cristo said.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Quadratic Functions and Rational Functions with Asymptotes

What does "I'm in desperate need of help" mean?

"I'm in desperate need of help" is a phrase often used to express a sense of urgency and a request for assistance. It can indicate that someone is facing a difficult or overwhelming situation and needs support or guidance to overcome it.

Why do people say "I'm in desperate need of help"?

People may say "I'm in desperate need of help" when they are facing a problem or challenge that they cannot handle on their own. It can be a way of reaching out for support and finding solutions to their issue.

What should I do if someone says "I'm in desperate need of help"?

If someone says "I'm in desperate need of help," it is important to take their request seriously and offer your assistance. Listen to their concerns and try to understand the root of their problem. Offer practical support or connect them with resources that can help them overcome their difficulties.

How can I help someone who is in desperate need of help?

There are many ways to help someone who is in desperate need of help. You can offer emotional support by listening and showing empathy. You can also offer practical assistance, such as helping them find resources or providing guidance. Most importantly, be there for the person and let them know that they are not alone.

Where can I find help if I'm in desperate need of help?

If you are in desperate need of help, there are many resources available to you. You can reach out to trusted friends or family members for support. You can also seek professional help from a therapist or counselor. There are also hotlines and support groups that offer assistance to those in need. Remember, it is okay to ask for help when you need it.