Understanding Quantized Conductance in Nano-sized Objects

In summary, the conductance of nano-sized objects is quantized and this limits the current that they can carry, regardless of the applied voltage.
Master J
In nano-sized objects ( at least one dimension < 100 nm) the conductance is quantized. It is given in multiples of G _0 = 2(e^2) / h . Now, that means that Ohm's law would look like I = GV, where G is an integer multiple of G_0.

What does this actually mean however? How does this limit the current that a nano-sized object can carry? And so what if the conductance is quantized...does the above equation not mean that I can increase with V, even if G is a multiple of G_0?

I'm trying to get my head around the implication of this quantization, I hope perhaps some people here might be able to enlighten me!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The implications of this quantization are that the current that a nano-sized object can carry is limited to a certain amount. This limit is determined by the value of G_0. When G is an integer multiple of G_0, the maximum current that the nano-sized object can carry is proportional to G_0. This means that increasing the voltage (V) will not result in an increase in the current (I). Instead, the current will remain constant regardless of the voltage applied. This is because the current is determined by G_0 and not by the applied voltage. Thus, Ohm's law does not hold for nano-sized objects when the conductance is quantized.

Related to Understanding Quantized Conductance in Nano-sized Objects

1. What is quantized conductance in nano-sized objects?

Quantized conductance refers to the phenomenon where the electrical conductance of a nano-sized object is restricted to discrete values due to quantum mechanical effects. This means that the flow of electrical current through the object occurs in steps rather than a continuous flow.

2. How is quantized conductance observed in nano-sized objects?

Quantized conductance is typically observed through experiments that measure the electrical conductance of a nano-sized object, such as a nanowire or single molecule. These experiments involve passing a current through the object and measuring the resulting voltage, which can then be used to calculate the conductance.

3. What causes quantized conductance in nano-sized objects?

Quantized conductance is caused by the discrete energy levels of electrons in nano-sized objects. As the size of the object decreases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, leading to the observed steps in conductance.

4. How does the size of a nano-sized object affect its quantized conductance?

The quantized conductance of a nano-sized object is directly proportional to its size. As the size of the object decreases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, resulting in smaller steps in conductance. This means that smaller nano-sized objects will exhibit more pronounced quantized conductance effects.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding quantized conductance in nano-sized objects?

Understanding quantized conductance in nano-sized objects has potential applications in the development of new electronic devices, such as more efficient transistors and quantum computers. It can also aid in the design of more precise sensors and detectors, as well as contribute to advancements in nanotechnology and materials science.