Understanding R^2 Open and Closed Sets

• Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed
In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of open and closed sets, with the main focus on how R2 is both open and closed. The conversation also mentions the concept of limit points and how R2 contains all of its limit points, further supporting its closedness. The validity of the definitions and the possibility of a mistake in the notes are also mentioned.
romsofia
If we define a set, c, to be R^2, how is it open and closed?

The definitions I'm using:

Open set: Open set, O, is an open set if for all points x are in O, and we can find ONE B(x,ρ) such that B(x,ρ) is less than zero.

Closed set: Compliment of an open set, AKA R^n/O.

This isn't a HW question, I'm reviewing the analysis part of my PDE course from fall semester, and this is something extra she told us, and now I don't know how this could be true!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Openness" and "closedness" aren't mutually exclusive, despite their unfortunate names. This is obvious topologically (the whole space is open by definition, but it is also the complement of the (open) empty set, and so it is also closed), but there's no need to abstract as far as topology with Rn; that every point in R2 is an interior point (has an open ball in R2) in should be obvious, so it is open. But R2 also contains all of its limit points (why?), so it is closed.

Number Nine said:
But R2 also contains all of its limit points (why?), so it is closed.

Ok, well that's probably why she said it was beyond the scope of the PDE course. Guess I'll do some reading on limit points!

Thanks for your help!

romsofia said:
If we define a set, c, to be R^2, how is it open and closed?

The definitions I'm using:

Open set: Open set, O, is an open set if for all points x are in O, and we can find ONE B(x,ρ) such that B(x,ρ) is less than zero.
This looks like non-sense to me. What does it mean for a set to be "less than zero"? I think you mean "we can find at least one B(x,ρ) that is a subset of O". That's obviously true for R2 since, for any x in R2 B(x,ρ) is certainly a subset of R2.

Closed set: Compliment of an open set, AKA R^n/O.
R2 is the compliment of the empty set so it is sufficient to prove that the empty set is open. And that follows from the logical principal that "if P then Q" is true in the case that P is false, no matter whether Q is true of false. For the empty set, "if x is in O" is always false because the empty set contains NO points.

This isn't a HW question, I'm reviewing the analysis part of my PDE course from fall semester, and this is something extra she told us, and now I don't know how this could be true!

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

HallsofIvy said:
This looks like non-sense to me. What does it mean for a set to be "less than zero"? I think you mean "we can find at least one B(x,ρ) that is a subset of O". That's obviously true for R2 since, for any x in R2 B(x,ρ) is certainly a subset of R2.

Hmm, this is out of my notes, so maybe I put zero, when I really meant O as I never understood why the ball at some element would have to be less than 0. My friend is borrowing my book right now, but I'd be able to check what the book says once I get it back.

x is an element, and ρ is the radius.

The book is Introductory to Patrial Differential Equations with Applications by Zachmanoglou and Thoe, if anyone has the book and can check.

Related to Understanding R^2 Open and Closed Sets

1. What is R^2?

R^2, or the coefficient of determination, is a statistical measure that represents the proportion of the variation in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variable(s). In other words, it measures how well a regression model fits the data.

2. How is R^2 calculated?

R^2 is calculated by taking the sum of squared differences between the actual values and the predicted values, and dividing it by the total sum of squared differences between the actual values and the mean of the dependent variable. This value is then subtracted from 1 to get the final R^2 value.

3. What is the range of R^2 values?

R^2 values can range from 0 to 1. A value of 0 indicates that the model does not explain any of the variability in the data, while a value of 1 indicates that the model perfectly explains all of the variability in the data.

4. What is the difference between open and closed sets?

An open set is a set that does not include its boundary points, while a closed set is a set that includes its boundary points. In other words, for an open set, there exists a small interval around each point that is not included in the set. For a closed set, the boundary points are also considered part of the set.

5. How is R^2 used in regression analysis?

R^2 is used as a measure of how well the regression model fits the data. It can help determine the significance of the independent variables and the overall reliability of the model. In general, a higher R^2 value indicates a better fit, but it is important to also consider other factors such as the sample size and the complexity of the model.