Understanding Relations, GCD, and LCM in Discrete Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of greatest common divisor (GCD) and lowest common multiple (LCM) between two integers, as well as the relation of one integer dividing evenly into another. The final question posed is whether there exists an integer that can divide evenly into every other integer, and the conversation ends with the suggestion that this integer could possibly be 1 or could not exist at all.
XodoX

Homework Statement

Define the relation a I b ( a divides b) between integers a and b and then define the greatest common divisor, gcd ( a,b), and the lowest common multiple, lcm ( a,b) Is there any number for m for which you have n I m ( n divides by m) for every n.

I just found this one and I have no clue how to do it. It seems difficult to me. Can somebody please explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to find an integer that will evenly divide into every integer. First, in order that m divide n evenly, m cannot be bigger than n (in absolute value)! What is the smallest possible absolute value for an integer? What integers have that absolute value? Will they divide into every integer?

HallsofIvy said:
You are asked to find an integer that will evenly divide into every integer. First, in order that m divide n evenly, m cannot be bigger than n (in absolute value)! What is the smallest possible absolute value for an integer? What integers have that absolute value? Will they divide into every integer?

I don't know. I suppose that would be 1?

I asked three questions (that I hoped would lead you to the answer). Which was that to answer?

XodoX said:

Homework Statement

Define the relation a I b ( a divides b) between integers a and b and then define the greatest common divisor, gcd ( a,b), and the lowest common multiple, lcm ( a,b) Is there any number for m for which you have n I m ( n divides by m) for every n.

I just found this one and I have no clue how to do it. It seems difficult to me. Can somebody please explain it to me?

HallsofIvy said:
You are asked to find an integer that will evenly divide into every integer...

That may be what he intended to ask, but it isn't what he actually asked, to which the answer is no.

[Edit] Woops. I was thinking natural numbers. Still, it isn't what he asked.

Last edited:
That this integer would be one. If not, no idea.

I'm pretty sure I can find an [tex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex] such that [tex]|n| < 1[/tex].

Related to Understanding Relations, GCD, and LCM in Discrete Math

1. What is Discrete Math and why is it important?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separated values. It is important because it has applications in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography.

2. What are some common topics in Discrete Math?

Some common topics in Discrete Math include set theory, logic, combinatorics, graph theory, and probability theory.

3. How is Discrete Math different from other branches of mathematics?

Discrete Math deals with finite, countable objects, while other branches of mathematics deal with continuous, infinite objects. Discrete Math also focuses on the analysis of discrete structures and algorithms.

4. What skills are necessary to excel in Discrete Math?

To excel in Discrete Math, one should have a strong foundation in algebra, logic, and problem-solving skills. Familiarity with programming languages such as Java or Python can also be helpful.

5. How can Discrete Math be applied in real life?

Discrete Math has numerous real-life applications, such as in computer science for designing algorithms and data structures, in cryptography for secure communication, and in probability for making informed decisions. It is also used in fields like economics, biology, and social sciences.

Back