Understanding Scalar and Vector Projections: A Layman's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of scalar and vector projections in the vector chapter of calculus. The purpose of keeping these in mind may vary depending on one's profession or goals. The conversation provides an example of a vector projection on the xy-plane and mentions the importance of knowing this for certain purposes, such as in engineering or on a test.
kylera
I'm re-visiting calculus again, and I've stumbled onto the concepts of scalar and vector projections in the vector chapter. While keeping in mind which equation to use for what projection is quite doable, I cannot seem to see the purpose of keeping scalar and vector projections in mind. Can anyone help clarify or state these two things in layman's terms? Much thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a vector with its tail at (0,0,0) and extending up to (1, 1, 1). Now imagine a light shining uniformly down from the z direction. The "shadow" of the vector <1, 1, 1> is its "vector projection" on the xy-plane (and would be <1, 1, 0>)) The length of that vector, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], would be its scalar projection. As to why you should "keep that in mind", it depends on your purpose. If you were and engineer, I can think many reasons why you would want to know that. If you were taking a physics or calculus III test you would surely want to know it! If your goal in life is to say "Do you want fries with that?", then you have no need to know it at all.

HallsofIvy said:
Imagine a vector with its tail at (0,0,0) and extending up to (1, 1, 1). Now imagine a light shining uniformly down from the z direction. The "shadow" of the vector <1, 1, 1> is its "vector projection" on the xy-plane (and would be <1, 1, 0>)) The length of that vector, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], would be its scalar projection.

That's a very good way to associate with the term "projection". I wish the book could put it that succinctly. Much much thanks!

Related to Understanding Scalar and Vector Projections: A Layman's Guide

1. What is a scalar projection?

A scalar projection is a type of projection that represents the magnitude of a vector in a particular direction. It is a single number that indicates the length of the vector projected onto a specific axis or direction.

2. How is a scalar projection calculated?

A scalar projection is calculated by taking the dot product of two vectors and dividing it by the magnitude of the second vector. This can also be represented as the product of the magnitude of the first vector and the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

3. What is a vector projection?

A vector projection is a type of projection that represents the component of a vector in a particular direction. It is a vector that indicates the length and direction of the vector projected onto a specific axis or direction.

4. How is a vector projection calculated?

A vector projection is calculated by multiplying the scalar projection of the first vector and the unit vector of the direction in which the vector is being projected. This will result in a vector with the same direction as the unit vector and a magnitude equal to the scalar projection.

5. What is the difference between scalar and vector projection?

The main difference between scalar and vector projection is that scalar projection only represents the magnitude of a vector in a particular direction, while vector projection represents both the magnitude and direction of a vector projected onto a specific axis or direction. Scalar projection is a single number, whereas vector projection is a vector.

Back